Get miles for tickets purchased for other travelers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kvp34, Jun 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kvp34

kvp34 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm new and I know I'm doing it wrong. Perhaps you can help me or give me an idea who to ask.

I just bought tix for 3 family members on United. After purchase I signed up for MileagePlus. But, United won't let me add the family-member tickets I bought to my MP account the traveler name does not match the name on my MP account. I have not had this experience with the other mileage programs I use - I'm used to being able to assign mileage credit any way you want to.

1) Is there a way around this?
    2) Is there another program besides MileagePlus I could use to accrue miles for these trips?

Thanks!

K

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are not flying you won't get the miles, even if you bought the tickets.

webdes03 likes this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not gonna happen on any program I know about. Miles / Points are accrued by the flying member. Even hotel programs, you have to be staying at the hotel. There maybe the odd program out there that lets you accrue miles "family style" but I haven't heard of one.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Asiana has family pooling. ANA might, too. Not always worth it, but there are options out there in *A.

Others allow it outside of *A (e.g. BA) but I think those two are the only options in *A.