Get Cash Back for expired miles! Here's how!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by radog, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    If American Airlines has expired your miles and you would like to get a check from AA for the amount you would pay for the miles, IT's Fast and Easy! :)

In 2004 I filed a small claim court action in Monterey County, California against American Airlines for expiring 56,000 miles from my frequent flyer account. The reason AA gave for expiring the miles was they changed their "policies" and that I had not flown on AA for over 3 years. The judge ruled that although AA "policies" had changed, expiring the miles was unethical and illegal. I was awarded a judgement by the court and received a check from AA for the amount it would cost to buy those miles back. Approximately $1400.00

History repeats itself. In 2012 AA expired approximately 10,000 more miles from my frequent flyer account after no activity for 3 years. I demanded the miles be reinstated and AA refused. Again I sued AA in Monterey County small claims court and won a judgement for the amount I would pay if I were to buy the expired miles PLUS the $40 court and filing costs. Two months later I received a check from American Airlines. :D

Note: AA could have appealed either decision and chose not to.

I am happy to provide a copy of the 2 page form that I filed and the judgement received.

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    much easier solution: don't let your miles expire.

jcmitchell21, Kalboz, AUSsie and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Déjà vu, anyone?

4. Omar's_Coming
    Original Member

Omar's_Coming Silver Member

Status Points:
    not really sure its "Fast and Easy"

flyforawg, Kalboz, MX and 1 other person like this.
  5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought AA is within its right to expire the miles. I think you got lucky with the small claims court. And AA paid 2.5 cents/mile.. Thats too much IMO. I am sure, plenty of people would want to sell miles at that rate!

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same thing happen. I called to find out what I could do and they were helpful - "did you rent a car last year and not tie it to an airline?" Checked it out, asked National to send acknowledgement and they appeared. But I was so pissed that I transfered the miles to Hilton and zeroed out the account.

Not sure I would have gone to the trouble OP did but it does annoy me that they can take them away as other airlines find it not such a hardship to leave the account open and active.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Delta is the only major US-based carrier that I am aware of that currently has no expiration of miles (and they used to). I'd be happy to trade my non-expiring Delta miles for expiring AA or UA miles, though. Hilton, where you transferred your miles, expires accounts/points, too.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what small claims is there for. This is the only way individuals can get justice from big companies short of a class-action suit. The judge ruled against American Airlines in both cases because, in the courts words, the "policies" are "unethical and probably illegal". You wouldn't expect the bag boy at the grocery store to steal your groceries on the way to the car because you hadn't used the yet! When you accrue miles with a frequent flyer program you earn them and essentially are purchasing them. They are your property and may not be LEGALLY stolen by "expiration".

druiddation and Kalboz like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    More déjà vu.

What happened to yesterday's thread?

Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    you seriously have an issue getting 1 AA credit to post to your account over a three year period?

11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its super easy! Just go to court! Easy presto. :( Try using the miles as intended and even game the system a bit with promos and such...but don't expect to turn every flight into a convoluted cash back scheme through the courts.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    The original thread that went MIA was our fault and not the OPs. Something went wrong and it got permanently deleted (something we never purposefully do) and radog was nice enough to forgive our mishap and repost.

We apologize to everyone else who made comments on the original thread and thank you for adding anything else you haven't stated to this new one.

13. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    I have avoided using AA ever since they illegally "expired" my miles the first time.

14. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised how many sheep there are willing to go along with illegal and unethical "policy changes", "terms and conditions" etc.

The judge agreed that AA can't hold members to illegal provisions that they add to there "terms and conditions" whenever they so chose. Try having your spouse sign a prenuptial that states he/she will get nothing in the case of divorce and see how it works out in court. AA can't LEGALLY steal EARNED miles/points/credits from their customers. They fought a class action suit for 10 yrs and settled just prior to its being heard by the US supreme court. The settlement included their agreement that AAdvantage Frequent Flyer members would be allowed to sue them individually.

As for using the AA miles, I avoid there crappy service whenever possible.

druiddation likes this.
  15. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    so what is the deal with those 10k miles from 2012??

16. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    I must have accumulated those between 2004 and 2012. Not sure when or where.

17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    so you want to sue a company for miles you didn't even know you had, nor did you even care that you had?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think that was pretty nice of the representative to point that out for you. They could have just as easily said, sorry, nothing you can do, and not created any extra work for the airline.

Mike

bobsgt and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. shieldess

shieldess New Member

Status Points:

Hi Radog,

I am interested in viewing the documents you submitted in court and the judgement handed down.

I am in similar situation with an airline in Australia and they are absolutely rude and will not help or return my 500,000 points. I need your help please?

Can you please communicated with me on shieldess at gmail . com as I would be greatly for your help!

20. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same judge?

bobsgt likes this.
  21. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to know that too, pgary.

OT: Did your cat ever learn to type?

22. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    Different judge.

23. radog

radog Active Member

Status Points:
    sent

24. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You clearly know nothing about cats if you think they would deign to do his work for him while he's out. :D

Mike

bobsgt likes this.
  25. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    When he used to go on vacation, he'd change his website to read that there will be no updates while he has gone as his cat refuses to learn to type.

Everything I know about cats I learned from the internet. For example, some cats can haz cheezburger.