Get Airtran Companion Pass or Not?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Mike Reed, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    All -

I have a conundrum. I'm about to reach the 100-credit threshhold for an Airtran Companion Pass.

While I am a Rapid Rewards member I'm also an Airtran A+ Elite, my primary earning program for Southwest/Airtran. Even though I'll soon be able to get an Airtran Companion Pass, I'm worried that with routes being moved from Airtran to Southwest and the booking engine favoring the Southwest website it'll less useful than the Southwest Companion Pass. My problem it I can't get a Southwest Companion Pass because my Airtran credits don't transfer to Southwest RR Points. And, on Airtran, I actually have to SPEND the credits to get the pass, unlike Southwest, where merely HAVING the points gets me the pass, so it's a bigger deal because I lose the value of 100 credits to get it.

So, the question I sent to Southwest - At some point in the near future of integration will persons earning the Airtran Companion Pass also get a corresponding Southwest Companion Pass?

If not, I have to conclude that the Airtran pass is going to become less and less useful and ultimately not worth it... AND won't be able to get a Southwest Companion Pass because my earnings are on Airtran and I can't convert credits to WN points.

Heck, even just the ability to convert Airtran credits to POINTS would help because at least then I could get a Southwest pass... AND still have the points... AND be able to book flights as Airtran flights go away (and I can't book Southwest-only routes on Airtran's web site).

Thoughts from the group? Is it worth spending 100 credits on an Airtran pass with no guarantee of a corresponding Southwest pass, decreasing Airtran frequencies and routes as they're moved to the Southwest side of the house, and the inability to book Southwest-only flights via Airtran.com?

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a SW companion pass holder due to the two credit cards. Recently I needed to book AirTran flights directly with AirTran. To me the advantage of AirTran companion pass seems low, but it does give you access to:
    1. Red eye flights - SW doesn't do overnight flights so you cannot book overnight AirTran flights via SW
    2. International flights - not yet in SW's system so you cannot book those using the companion pass

Could you (or your companion) do the two credit cards (personal/business) next time the cards offer 50K? That seems much more worth it, since you are left with your 110k sw points from the cards + spend, and you will have your original AirTran points.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps. I was hoping to avoid that, though (and one credit card would do it for us, I'm at ~70K WN points for the year already. It would be nice if, like status, CP was reciprocal. I definitely appreciate the thoughts... good points about overnights/internationals.

The biggest complaint I have about the FL pass is not being able to book WN-only itineraries, and FL flights being transitioned to WN, so I'm able to book fewer and fewer flights (declining value).

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ended up with a blog post about this that will post monday morning. Got a response back from Southwest when I asked about reciprocity and disparity between the networks that basically said "we recognize you think it sucks... keep flying with us!"

iolaire likes this.