Get a Free FF AA Flight now before merger??? Only 40K!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by royce242, Jun 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey folks...I wanted your opinions on this.

I have a chance to get a free flight from Zurich to Florida for only 40K in AA FF miles. It's for a flight next May/June, the latest I can possibly schedule a flight (the later the better). This is crazy cheap and although the dates aren't exactly to my liking, I'm afraid this option will disappear as we approach the official merger point.

1. Flying free from Zurich to America has always been relatively cheap through AA ($90 plus 40-60K miles), as opposed to US Airways which always has a million black out dates and charges $120 or so and at least 60K miles if not much more. HOW LONG WILL THIS LAST?

2. Should I go ahead and buy this flight now in order to preserve such a great rate (40K plus $90?). This flight is usually $1100 at least.

I dunno, but I'm afraid that after the merger, rates for redemption will take a turn for the worst. Does anyone know when the merger will go through redemption levels will be on one level and when we can expect AA's redemption levels to begin to change? I suppose though in the end it all depends on which airports you use and where you fly from.

Thanks in advance...

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know US Airways has a 35K rt off-peak US to/from Europe redemption, right? Many of us here have taken advantage of it (as well as their awesome reduced J redemption to Europe, though those are now gone). Not exactly "at least 60K miles".

As to your question, no one knows for sure exactly when the programs will merge or what will happen to the programs when they do merge.

3. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what kinda non-peak redemption levels you're talking about but April and May is 45K to 62.5K EACH WAY for me...from Zurich to Florida.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's on US Airways flights only. Off peak season for US Airways only awards on North America to Europe is listed as Jan 15 - Feb 28.

LINK.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  5. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah thanks for the link....unfortunately that one month out of the year does not help me. Cheers.

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think of the wisdom of booking one of these awards now? There won't be US metal to fly on then, right? But the price is great if there's availability.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There absolutely will. Nothing will happen that quickly with respect to each other's operating certificate.

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, in the event of the (I am beginning to think inevitable) schedule change or <insert irrop of choice>, who would support the passenger in case of partner award bookings? (rather than the more simple US metal only option)

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the OP isn't subject to award change or cancel and redeposit fees and has no other need for the points right away, it could be wise to book the award ticket now to keep the option available. However, OP should watch the merger news and be careful about any changes to the FF program that might change the fees, although DOT tends to look negatively at new fees that are announced after the ticket has been purchased.

10. Pokemon

Pokemon Active Member

Status Points:
    How could this(40k miles + $90) be a great deal?
    It's roughly redeemed at 2.0-2.5 CPM.

For example, 10,042 RDM will be earned from RT ZRH-JFK-MIA even for non elites.
    40k miles + $90 = $1,100 - 10,042 miles
    i.e. CPM = $0.02

In general, long haul Y award isn't a great redeem opportunity.