Germany. Opinions on Berlin vs Munich

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dhammer53, Jan 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are going to Germany this summer. There's been discussion on Berlin (in the north), and Munich (in the south). I hear Munich is older, and more colorful; while Berlin is newer, and has recent history.

Any opinions?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find Berlin more interesting. How long's your trip? Can you do both? 4 days Berlin, 3 days Munich?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to both last year and would lean towards Berlin, though if you have the time I'd take a train between the two cities and do both (and then maybe Salzburg from Munich). If you buy your train tickets a couple weeks out it's pretty affordable.

I think there's just a lot more historical things to see in Berlin. It's spread out quite a bit but you can buy a day pass for train/bus for around 6 euros. There are two tourist-oriented bus routes that serve as a good orientation to both the east and west sides (routes 100 and 200). I still find myself wandering neighborhoods in the east and watching the conversion of old Sovet bloc style buildings into new hotels and businesses. You have an amazing assortment across all the hotel chains there.

There are some unique things in Munich such as the BMW museum and showroom. You might want to pick up one of these:

[​IMG]

But then Berlin is rather unique as it's the only place with one of these:

[​IMG]

Rest of my Germany photos are here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Germany

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife would like to drive the Romantic Road. Something about all those castles. ;)
    After checking the map, I see it's much closer to Munich than Berlin. I'm not sure yet how this will affect our plans.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I find Berlin more interesting for everything from history to architecture to museum to weirdness. But Munich has its charms as well and is warmer and sunnier too. If you don't want to see them both on this trip, do one now and save the other for later. They are both worth a trip.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, this should solidify to plan for Munich. Save Berlin for another trip as per the other posters above, it appears there is a lot more to do in Berlin.

ffitalia likes this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I preferred Berlin over Munich, because there is just so much recent history there to explore. But if castles are on your agenda, then Munich this time and Berlin next trip?

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    DSCF1853.JPG
    We did a similar trip a few years ago just around Thanksgiving at it was wonderful. It had already snowed and the countryside was covered with a beautiful white blanket and some towns were actually starting to set up their Christmas markets. An added advantage of that time of year was less tourists and the drawback of reduced visiting hours eg the Bok in Wurzburg was partially closed for the season.

Had a rental car ( thanks to my Garmin GPS which is essential when road-signs etc are covered in snow:)) and we visited Rothenberg, Wurzburg and the twin castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. (Note to access the interior these two castles you need to book a specific visiting time because of their popularity)

As far as the Munich vs Berlin preference I found both places equally interesting.
    Munich has better shopping and restaurants and with some unbelievable chocolate shops.

Added a couple photos two of Wurzburg and two showing the countryside from Nueschwanstein (one of Hohenschwangau castle)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another option would be to combine Berlin with Prague and connect by train, which I have done before. There is a castle in Prague but I find the cathedral there more interesting. Also an excellent armor collection.

[​IMG]

Prague PHOTOS

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom911,

We've been to Praha. I hope to book using AA, US, or UA miles tomorrow. The carrier will make the final decidion as to where we fly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that US will have availabilty to Asia, with a stopover in Germany. ;)

dh