George Clooney as an airline reward?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/celebrity/6439674/story.html

Would you fly more often if your reward was a regular supply of socks or a leather vest autographed by George Clooney?
    With demand for air travel rising, competition for passengers is heating up. One way airlines are trying to lure passengers is with tantalizing rewards offered through frequent-flyer programs.
    Many of those rewards are, well, weird, according to a study by IdeaWorks, a Shorewood, Wis., airline consulting firm that studied more than 150 airline reward programs. The firm released a list last week of the top 40 "weird, wild and wonderful" rewards.
    For example, passengers of AirBaltic who accumulate 13,754 airline points can trade the points in for a dog-sled adventure.
    American Airlines passengers can trade in 14,700 points for a beer-tasting tour in Brussels.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/George+Clooney+airline+reward/6439674/story.html#ixzz1ruwzjfIi

Kalboz, Travelsavant and USAF_Pride like this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably fly less if the reward was anything George Clooney :eek:

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the socks are that crazy. In fact, that's one of my dreams if/when I strike it rich: I will never wear the same pair of socks twice. A fresh pair is just so comfortable. And since I happen to like the cheap-O Hanes socks at Target, I figure I could just buy a lifetime supply all at once.

$1/pair x 365.25 days/year x 72 years (hey, Grandma lived to 99...) = $26,298 in socks
    Actually, quite an affordable luxury compared to a fancy car.

downhillcrasher and Travelsavant like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are on the way! :D
    [​IMG]

5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall an interview in the late 90s with Matt Stone and Trey Parker (aka the South Park guys) where they said they negotiated new socks for life into their contract!

Personally, I don't think I would want all my socks to come from an airline if the quality found in amenity kits is any indication.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe that's where I got the idea. Or maybe we just think alike. ;) It wouldn't surprise me.

7. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jerry Lewis does not wear a pair of socks more than once!