Generate some miles to avoid expiration

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Muerl, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So both my wife and I have approx 10.5k miles sitting in FF Accounts for QF. Mostly from a 3K J flight SIN-AKL and some hops around Vietnam about a year ago. That means they will be up to expire The end of april. So, I am wondering if there is a good option to keep them alive for another year and a half or any ideas on redeption.

Few other details, I am based in BOS so I know that 12k will give me 1200mi and 18k will give me 2400mi but is that flight distance or point to point between cities? I would likely hate to transfer points out of hilton into FF but it is a possibility.

The other option I can think of is transferring the miles ALL to one account but will that reset their timer?

We don't have any travel planned between now and then, saddly, but we could be open to crazy ideas.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, it won't.

Rent a cheap car for a day, perhaps? Possibly never even driving it away from the location? That's what I'd settled on as my likely escape route in this situation if I didn't have a short flight that I could throw into the QF account.

Muerl likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be a weird way but how about Audience Rewards and their trivia. Then convert through points.com. Earn a few points in Some program and points.com them to QF?

Muerl likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it comes to April I will likely move all the points to my account and rent a car.

I am kinda fuzzy on points.com It says I can earn QF miles, but I can not exchange for them it seems.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a new plan ;). I think I might do a "weekend away" with my wife at a Hilton somewhere nearby.

6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you move all hers into your account (or v.v.) by doing a Family Transfer, then you need an activity in only one of the accounts!
    As mentioned in your OP, Qantas points can be used for American Airlines flights. The flown miles are via the routing, not nonstop distance origin to destination, so if you fly BOS--ord (connection only, no stopover)--Nashville, they would add the flight miles (BOS--ORD) + (ORD--BNA) to calculate your bracket.

Muerl likes this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats what I did. Family Transfer to my account + HH transfer.

Plan is to book a trans-Tasmania flight for an upcoming NZ/AU trip next winter.