General tips/hints

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by JohnDeere19, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been what many would consider lucky in my travel history, but most of the time, it was due to some preemptive action taken on my part so I figured I'd share a few with you that I follow and include a few stories of what happened.
    1. The answer is always no if you don't ask. I was on a deep discount economy BA ticket with a very recent ACL surgery and really shouldn't have even been flying, but I was going to visit my grandparents that I only get to see once a year. I asked about an upgrade while checking in and was told nothing was possible. I then asked when I got to the gate and was re-issued a Y+ ticket which made me happier, but I was really hoping for J. As I boarded the plane, I asked a flight attendant if it would be at all possible to be moved to J and voila, I was.
    2. If you don't like the answer, hang up and try again. I recently signed up for and completed a AA Plat challenge and was trying to get AA to comp me gold status due to my *A gold status. First agent, no. Second agent, no. Third agent made it happen without even requesting proof.
    3. Always read the terms & conditions. I can't stress this enough. There have been loopholes found and rules missed because of this.
    4. NEVER call the airline/hotel regarding a mistake fare until it's confirmed the fare is gone. These deals are short lived as it is. The vast majority of the time, there is no reason for you to call and alert the airline/hotel to any abnormalities until a deal is fixed or pulled.
    What would you add to the list?

2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of asking for what you want until you get what you want... doesn't always work, but sure is nice when it does.

JohnDeere19 likes this.