General Rules for MileagePlus stopovers? South America Question.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by andrewhyde, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    Flying EZE->DEN in April. I was about to book a Saver Award seat (30k) through IAH but noticed a business class seat (50k) that goes EZE->LIM->IAH->DEN.

I have friends in LIM and would love to stop over.

I'm not familiar with United and stopovers. When I try to book this as a multi city itinerary I get an error (but that is how I would book an AA award). Award is with Taca for part of it.
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 5.19.42 PM.png

Can someone point me in the right direction? Anything else I should be looking into?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a rough booking using your departure date and inserting a 6-day stopover in LIM and had no trouble. You might or might not get saver awards for the dates you selected but you can definitely insert stopovers when redeeming for a one-away award (click on image to enlarge):

EZE-LIM-DEN-RDM.png

Jenny & Curt and andrewhyde like this.
  3. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Finding flights now, all going for 75k. Tinkering around.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The website sometimes prices things in error, I haven't checked your itinerary but do know that (1) you can cancel an itinerary within 24 hours at no penalty, so you could book and then call to have price adjusted without risk, or (2) you could book by phone where computers are more likely to give you correct price (although you'll generally pay the phone booking fee if one applies to you.

andrewhyde likes this.
  5. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    I tried #2 and was told that stopovers are only allowed on round trip tickets for international trips.

I have 70k miles in my account so I'm 5k short from being able to try #1.

I'm going to try some different routing to see if that brings up any other options.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As I say I didn't look closely at what you were doing. You cannot have a free stopover on a one-way award.

Wandering Aramean and andrewhyde like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, you pay with RDMs for each segment separately on one-way award redemption that includes a stopover and it is allowed only for intl trips, which yours, thankfully, is...

The itinerary I posted above would cost you 60K RDMs, but it might not match the dates that you have in mind. There are others that would cost 60K RDMs as well, but they may prolong the duration of your trip...

andrewhyde likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not correct.

The above award is pricing as EZE-LIM in I which is 40,000 points + LIM-DEN in Y which is 20,000 points. The total is 60,000 points which is more than a one-way EZE-DEN business class award (50,000 points).

andrewhyde likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what you think I said because I do not see the discrepancy... it costs more 'cause the segments are being charged for separately...

Sent from my DROID4 Global using milepoint

andrewhyde likes this.
  10. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much everyone! Just booked it.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You said, "... but you can definitely insert stopovers when redeeming for a one-away award." I even included the quoted text in my reply to be specific about what I was replying to. That is not true. You can book a multi-segment itinerary and it will price end-on-end but it is not a stopover on a one-way award.

In this case the price is similar. There are others where it is not nearly as close. Try booking USA-Europe-SE Asia, for example, with a stop in Europe. The rates are MUCH higher.

andrewhyde likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not wish to engage with you in another senseless debate. Let me know if this subsequent post of mine that clarified that earlier statement helps.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It clarifies your position but it is still not accurate. You are not getting a "stopover" with the booking that way. You are booking a multi-stop trip. Call it pedantic semantics if you want but there is a difference in the way the company defines the term and what it actually means when you go to make a booking. What you have there is not a stopover per the T&C of the award program.

And you can price a multi-segment itinerary even on domestic trips; you even get a discount for doing so in some cases, something you do not get on an international itinerary.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not have said it better. That is exactly what I'd call it...

Ciao, mate. You can obsess with this as you usually do. The OP has already booked the award ticket so that there is not much else to be gained, other than satisfying your obsessive compulsion to always be "right". Knock yourself out.

15. andreia01

andreia01 New Member

Status Points:
    now I'm curious to see your itinerary....

16. h0pper

h0pper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy 5000 miles.