General Lounge Question (for someone with no OW status)

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I am holding an international business class ticket on a OW carrier (and the carrier does not have its own lounge in the departure airport), am I entitled to use any OW lounge, or just the one which the operating carrier gives me an invitation to? (There are 2 OW lounges in the airport, and the "chosen" one isn't all that great.)

2. Grozzy
    Original Member

Grozzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Normally, the airline would have an agreement with one of the lounges at each of its destinations. Without status you may not have much of a choice though. You'll get told at checkin. If you give more details someone can give you a more precise answer.

3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been several debates about this over the years on the TOBB. Typically access by class of service is limited to the lounge provided by your carrier. Access by status in principle gives one access to all OW at the airport available for that status. Some argued that class of service access should also give you access to all lounges and pointed to times when they have been able to gain access to other lounges - others haven't been successful. If you are able to gain access to another to another lounge (not the chosen one) let us know.

For example from the OW lounge page:
    The access by status page specifically states that you can access any lounge while different language is used for the access by class.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, in practice, I would expect most airlines to have some lounge arrangement for their IFC and long-haul business class passengers at major stations. It might be a contract lounge or it might be a specific alliance lounge, but it would be shocking in particular to expect a long-haul IFC passenger (unfortunately especially on a revenue ticket paid with money but hopefully also on an award ticket paid with miles) to wait at the gate when there is a lounge arrangement for certain other passengers. These statements do not apply to nonrevs or OPUPs and YMMV.

6. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree there will be access with your carrier or a lounge that they contract with. It is a different matter to want to use another OW partner lounge when you don't like the lounge your carrier provides. Clearly if you have emerald or sapphire status you can do this but if no status you might be stuck with your carrier's lounge.