General Impression About Traveling/Backpacking in Asia

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by corz123, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. I was thinking of taking a few months to go through Asia...ie Japan/Taiwan/Thailand/Malaysia and the Philippines. I was wondering if there were any good spots that stood out to anyone that's been there. I was also wondering if I should be concerned w/ the reputation of the rowdiness and general drunk stupidity of the backpackers there and how prevalent it is. I like going out just not really into that particular form/level of debauchery...Thanks!

2. mrsnarbonne

mrsnarbonne Active Member

Status Points:
    Depends on where you chose to go, stay & do in the aforementioned countries. I live in Taiwan and it's probably the most laid-back. Most tourists are organized Chinese tour groups.

Love Thailand, have never been into partying/drunken debauchery - and find plenty to fill my time with massages, yoga classes, cooking classes, etc. University areas provide lots of budget-friendly options & a lively atmosphere.

corz123 likes this.
  3. mrsnarbonne

mrsnarbonne Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I should mention that Taiwan has fantastic scenery, so lots of hiking options like Taroko Gorge, wind surfing in Penghu, beach/diving in Kending and Green Island, etc. Hot springs abound.

4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recommend it.

I did the typical SE Asia loop,

SIN to KL to Cambodia to Vietnam to Laos to Thailand to Hong Kong. There was some drunken stupidity, particularly in Cambodia and Laos, but at the same time it was pretty easy to avoid. Read reviews on the Guest Houses you're going to stay at, and stay slightly off the bottom of the market. the drunken rowdy backpackers tend to spend as little as possible.

corz123 likes this.
  5. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey thanks so much for the tip. I am also thinking of getting my PADI diving license. Any recommendations on a good spot?