General Experiences Redeeming for Partner Awards / Switching to AS after 1K Qual

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by hungarianhc, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all!

So I've just re-qualified for 1K on United, and now that it's out of the way, I'm trying to figure out where to put the rest of my business travel. I'm considering calling up AS to get a status match, that way i'll earn the same 100% RDM bonus I get on UA. I only have about 20K AS miles right now, but I'm interested in the possibility of redeeming them on interesting carriers that UA can't get me like Qantas, Cathay, etc.

What have the general experiences been? Is there any way to check inventory aside from just calling? Does that Cathay inventory directly correspond with the inventory available to those on the Cathay frequent flier program?

I appreciate all the feedback on this. I typically only fly UA / Star Alliance, but there are often certain flight times / fares that work better for me on AA / AS / DL, and I credit those all to AS. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep AS as my account for "extra" flights as they come in (and redeem for something very far out in the future) or if I should focus some travel on AS to build up mileage for interesting redemption options. What would you do if you were me? THanks!

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had good success with using AS miles on Qantas and on Air France. AF is useful to me, as they are the dominant carrier to West Africa. I've used Expert Flyer to check inventory and not had any issues, but I've also had some date flexibility.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AF award inventory tends to be reasonable for DL miles so that the advantage of crediting to AS would be access to award tickets on oneworld carriers such as CX and QF, probably using AA domestic connections if AS doesn't work.

As an AS elite crediting DL flights to AS, you would get some elite benefits from DL, including free upgrades with low priority close to departure.

4. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my (albeit limited) experience, the inventory available to AS is not the same. The BA site provides a better approximation.