General comment - mixing

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by techgirl, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A general random comment... not sure how to tie this to anything substantive, but here I go.

I am loving here on MP how much I'm "mixing" with people who clearly have been very active and well-known posters on OTHER frequent flyer forums but whom I somehow never came in contact with - because they don't fly my airline or stay in my hotel chain or whatever the case may be.

I'm not sure what is different here at MP that is causing that to happen - the size, the compactness of the forums, or just the nature of the community.

But if you have any way of figuring out what that is... and making it stick, please do. I am fearful it's the size of the site - and if that is the case, it's just not realistic for the monetization of the board (which is too bad). But maybe its just the more general forum and flora structure in which case I say, please leave this.

taiwaned, kiwi, flyingdawg and 5 others like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure the limited scope of active posters is a big factor.

3. Size and the lack of subfora. Everything's lumped together in start-up mode.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's what I'm afraid of... that this feels wonderful right now and will feel "just like everything else" come March 1. And that won't really encourage me to keep contributing. :-(

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A lot depends on us- creating interesting cross-program content and discussion in the Community, Newbie, Off Topic, Private, and Photo threads can accomplish much of what you appreciate- we should all try to keep this going. It is what can set MP apart from other destinations on the interwebs.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And that's what I hope for. ;)

Bob Smolinsky and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there are certainly factors that could inhibit the act of “mixing” with other people — and that would include characteristics which are typical and naturally inherent in human nature — I would say that it is up to how proactive the individual wants to be as to the degree of proactivity regarding how much and how well one wants to “mix” and interact with other people in other areas at milepoint.com — or anywhere else, for that matter.

Gargoyle and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha. I understand some of this; which is pretty much how I stumble through life[​IMG].
    The new will wear off. I have already changed the way I post and participate.[​IMG]

travelingmore likes this.
  9. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Size and let's be fair, the race for SP also causes a lot more "mixing" as well....

MSPeconomist and Gargoyle like this.
  10. It is not like there are going to be 500,000 members on March 2. ;)
    I suppose the root of the question is, are cliques and silos inevitable? I will admit that although the post is somewhat Chicken Littlish (no offense intended, Jim), this thread from Jim gives me pause.

Some of use don't care about the SP. If I have something to contribute, I do. If not, I don't. My MO is the same here, on FT and other fora. I'm not going to join the like-fests and such (but they do amuse me:)), although I do wonder if the SPs will lead to the first divisions within the community. ;)

11. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping some of the functionality I suggested around adding technical capabilities that allow threads to be visible in multiple forums etc could help to join together the various parts of the community. That way if a thread is related to multiple areas then rather than having separate threads in each forum (or area of the community) then the same thread is visible to both (or multiple) areas of the community.

Here's to hoping the continued criss-crossing of the community continues :D

techgirl and Gargoyle like this.
  12. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't even know about the SP race until I had already started. I just read Randy's Beta page and was excited about it. I think it will take comitted effort to keep it going, but I have no problem with that.

Gargoyle likes this.