Gear: These packing helpers make a case for using less space

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA Times - Gear: These packing helpers make a case for using less space

Hi everyone,

I saw this while browsing the LA Times and was curious if anyone has used the Spacepak. I've used compression bags for storage before and ziploc baggies to protect items from liquids, but never seen these before.

They could be a good gift for FF'ers out there.

:)
    From the website:

uggboy, Espan and Blue Skye like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have used packing cubes for years. SpacePak seems like just another packing cube at a higher price. One disadvantage of some packing cubes are that they allow you to stuff more stuff into them. And the next thing you know your luggage is at 75 pounds!

rwoman, uggboy and Espan like this.
  3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    interesting concept. i have seen the packing cubes before but didn't notice if they had the air release vents on the sides. these seem to take the packing cube idea one step farther.
    i usually use compression bags and ziplocs, too. but i like the idea of having a neater sorting option, instead of just stuffing what fits into whichever bag. these seem to allow for easier compression in a fixed dimension instead of having to roll the bags to get the air out.

the one thing he missed, in the video, is the part where he had to pull his liquids out for security. nice toiletry bag, but that isn't acceptable for screening even if you put the whole thing through the scanner. ;)

rwoman, uggboy and Espan like this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I missed it, but didn't really see any major compression going on... Still, one-way air vents built in seems like a very good idea. As noted, pricey compared to other options out there.

rwoman, Blue Skye and uggboy like this.
  5. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    no, i didn't notice a huge amount of compression there, but the idea of possibly getting more air out of a stack of clothes is good. yes, very pricey but when you combine the cost of cubes and compression bags, isn't the cost pretty close? (i haven't actually run the numbers myself)

rwoman and Espan like this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's mostly a problem w/ the video linked in the OP. I think if they tried they could have shown/emphasized more the compression aspect. That said, personally I still haven't gone this way, but if/when I do, I wouldn't need the redundancy of compression bags and cubes, just the compression bags (2 for $13 from Travelon, or Eagle Creeks) would be fine for me. I'm not that OCD :)() that I'd then put them in cubes....

rwoman likes this.
  7. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    heh, i could possibly resemble that OCD remark (if i had the cubes). :D my packing methods are ever evolving, along with cutting back on items i have found i just don't need. i think the reason these cubes, if they do compress, are so attractive to me, would be the ability to neatly fold, stack and not have to roll everything. (i dislike having to flatten them out when putting in the case after rolling the compression bags)

Espan and rwoman like this.