Gay couple accuses United of taping sex toy to their luggage

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tommy777, Aug 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
  2. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    345,567,900th stupid law suit. Just another idiotic lawsuit clogging up our legal system. Even IF they can prove an employee did it, so what? LET'S SUE EM FOR ALL THEIR WORTH? It was one employee playing an inappropriate joke. 'I don't trust people like I used to'? Come on! Accept whatever united offered which I'm sure was generous because they wanted to avoid the bad press and move on!

LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's ironic... they're so embarrassed that people saw it in public view... Whoopeedoo ... So they decided to file a lawsuit against United so now the whole world and their Aunts Fannie and Sallie know about it... :rolleyes:

mrredskin, boondr, paladin87 and 4 others like this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great point!

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I didn't see in the article how much they are suing for, can you point that out?

6. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see a number, simply that they filed a civil suit.

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happened is clearly unacceptable, but it's freaking ridiculous to file a lawsuit over it. Complain to UA, get some compensation, and get on with your life. If you're going to have "a significant negative impact on their daily lives" and need "treatment from mental health professionals" over something like this, then you really need some thicker skin. :rolleyes:

daninstl and ssullivan like this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you find it equally humorous if TSA or an airline vandalized your bags? If so, you can choose an easy route for yourself, and accept the "apology miles" from the airline.
    But I also understand why this couple chose to take a stand. If they succeed in restraining a certain abusive agency, they might be doing all travelers a favor.

AnthonyB1609, Koschmar and Ygor like this.
  9. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't change the subject to vandalism. If they'd be pissed about their bag and want compensation that is 100% fair. To claim emotional distress...pathetic. If TSA pulled out my underwear, id be pissed, I'd threaten to sue then take my travel vouchers and MOVE ON.

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is it "freaking ridiculous" to sue an abusive company, but not to whine on travel message boards?
    At least you can get a practical outcome out of the former.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't blame you for doing this, and would likely do the same. That's also why TSA continues to rub it in your face that your bags are fair game to them.

12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    LizzyDragon84 and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not a case of the bag coming open and them trying to secure it?

LETTERBOY and ssullivan like this.
  14. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll succeed at nothing but giving us lawyers some fodder for off-color jokes.

mowogo, AZjohn and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the TSA decided to rub this thing in their face, that would probably be grounds for an entirely different lawsuit.

16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much of the whining on travel message boards IS freaking ridiculous. And I doubt they'll get much of an outcome out of this. Unless you think wasting money on lawyers' fees is a practical outcome.

AZjohn likes this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since when is United an agency of the federal government?

18. theflyingnun

theflyingnun Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had a dollar for every time United taped my dildo to my luggage...

19. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The moral to the story (besides that one) is that if you are going to pack sex toys into your luggage, use a bag that has a good zipper. The photo in the non-news story clearly shows that the zipper is broken. It's half way down the bag and it's open on both ends. To me it looks like the dildo is just falling out due to poor luggage. I like how the article states that the zipper was working great when clearly you can tell otherwise. The photo will lose this lawsuit for them. At least they didn't lose the bag. Can you just see this thing falling out on the runway as the load the bags onto the plane. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion it won't match everyone else that's OK.

20. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's actually another plausible explanation. It fell out and someone tried to put it back into the bag. (wow, what a setup...). Or it wasn't showing when the tape went on and was jostled and popped out during the course of transport.

Regardless, while unfortunate, it doesn't seem malicious.

daninstl, LETTERBOY and Sunshine7 like this.
  21. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this day and age, the event is more a reason to clap and scream "good for you" rather than an attempt at humiliation. The fact that the bag looks pretty cheap and the couple claims the emotional anguish will force them never to fly again shows how ridiculous this is.

22. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely ri-dick-ulous.

23. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a waste of the legal system's time. Looking at the above linked photo, it's not immediately obvious to me that there was anything malicious done. The article says the zipper was working, but one side of the (what appears to be) double-sided top flap has the seam closed at the zipper which is in the middle of the bag - and zipped open everywhere else...sort of like when your jacket zipper gets off track and though you can move it up and down, it only pulls together where the zipper device is and remains open above and below.

Seems reasonable that the airline bag handlers wrapped tape around a bag that was open. Did they place the dildo directly on top or was it in that position already? Did the dong shift around and perhaps wasn't even visible before? DId the plaintiffs move it before taking the photo? Hard questions to answer for sure not having been there.

Their rationale that it was a malicious anti-gay act seems specious. They say that because it was a dildo in a bag with a male name tag and male clothing, it was a given that a homosexual man owned it. That's quite an assumption.

And their claims of emotional distress ring pretty hollow. Mostly because they've only attracted more attention now.

24. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:

Or to show United Airlines the basis of their complaint.

By the way, the vast majority of mobile phones out there have cameras, in case you didn't know.

daninstl likes this.
  25. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I managed to sue everybody for every bad thing they did to me, I'd have thousands of suits on my hands. But I used common sense, and moved on.. Some people can be very stupid when it comes to the law and $$$. Just saying..

daninstl and LETTERBOY like this.