Gatwick opens world's first 'virtual' Tesco airport store

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by sobore, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.airport-world.com/news-a...pens-worlds-first-virtual-tesco-airport-store

London Gatwick has introduced the UK's first interactive virtual grocery store with the opening of a Tesco 'shop' in the North Terminal.

The outlet is designed to ensure that the hassle of returning home to an empty fridge is no longer an issue for UK based passengers.

Gatwick's head of retail, Spencer Sheen, says: "We all know how it feels when we arrive back home from a holiday, only to face an empty fridge or cupboard containing none of the key essentials like milk, butter or bread. This is why we are really excited to be working with a forward thinking brand such as Tesco.

"What they're offering our passengers is a shopping experience that is easy and convenient so they have one less thing to think about when they get home, other than switching the kettle on."

Read More: http://www.airport-world.com/news-a...pens-worlds-first-virtual-tesco-airport-store

marcwint55, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having heaps of experience with TESCO, I'm not 100% sure about this!

......read, more expensive.:confused:

marcwint55 and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a fee....you can get anything, right?? ;)

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....almost! :confused:

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Tesco is learning from the airlines that you can charge extra fees for various services in order to improve your bottom line...IIRC, they've been struggling...

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tesco IMHO, has always been a master in promising the world, but actually delivers an " ever so slightly " underwhelming experience ie. products, services, value and quality. These key attributes are too often lacking in many of their outlets.

Regarding they're struggling, indeed they do in some markets incl. the UK, maybe people wake up to them? I like Sainbury's, M&S [ they love to repackage their products very often and pump up their prices on the way ], from time to time Asda, but with many so-called " TESCO TOWNS " they're hard to avoid.:confused:

7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My cousin founded Tesco. I never met him and he is long gone now, but my father and his siblings were very close to him and spoke very kindly of him.

rwoman and uggboy like this.