Gatwick explores plans to build second runway

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by uggboy, Oct 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Gatwick explores plans to build second runway ||

I hope they decide to do the right thing, do it.:)

sobore, TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good to study it again still, but the odds are not in favour of any actual new concrete. Everyone knows how essential it is to have a second runway there, but NIMBY always wins in that genography. I don't remember when I first heard about this. I think it was the 2006 Master Plan. That died a quick death.

uggboy likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gatwick is the busiest single runway airport in the world.

Getting approval for that second runway will significantly increase the value of the airport, and position it well for a sale and gain for the investors in the GIP fund.

In a related note, the CEO of GIP, the private equity fund that owns Gatwick, was just appointed as a director of Goldman Sachs.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope we will eventually see a second runway, let common sense and demand win. It's essential as you said, I hope they know it too, the government that is.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gatwick is a great airport with lots of potential, GIP has seen this very well, plus a second runway is essential to build up on this strength. Interesting news about the CEO and his appointment as a director of Goldman Sachs, it's a very small lucrative world for some.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I first heard about the second runway in 1999 IIRC. It would be great to have more capacity at Gatwick.

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing of how long people know, and for how long nothing happened in terms of runway capacity expansion.

jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "new" runway at Heathrow which still has not even been properly considered is another example.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad, but true. I can only hope that LHR will get there eventually, but before the politicians will have to wake-up. I also hope that LGW is faster in this matter.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that the chances of this being permitted are slim, and permitted in the near future are non-existent.

When LGW was originally expanded beyond the tin huts of the 60s, there was a binding agreement in place that there would be no second runway. This expired a handful of years ago, I believe (although I expect a flurry of posts saying I'm wrong, or giving further details), but the power of the local community is huge near Gatwick. Immediately to its west (ie under the approach) is some of the wealthiest commuter belt land in the UK, with some of the best connected people. Not only that, they moved there specifically because it's quiet and it's pretty and access is difficult. So, whereas the residents under the LHR flightpath don't want the noise but enjoy the wealth LHR creates - and would be horrified if that wealth were to move to Essex, together with their property values, the LGW lot are in a very different position.

It ain't gonna happen in the short term and it would be a very peculiar outcome of the runway consultation for it to happen further down the road.

Finally, the Achilles Heel of the Essex proposals - that it's on the wrong side of London for the majority of its customers - would also apply to some extent to the Gatwick extra runway.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Calpers is also a [9]% co-investor in the deal. No real control rights, but participating in the upside at least.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    No new runway will be open for 8+ years. I think the agreement runs out in [2019]. They're merely setting the table now for the inevitable... (and readying for the inevitable battle!)

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Willie Walsh's recent comments speak not only to the situation at Gatwick, but to the overall problem:

...BBC Question Time, a couple of weeks ago.

I couldn't agree more. Ten, twenty, and yes, perhaps 30 years from now, there will be no new runways, and no new airports. The governement just doesn't have the balls for it.