Gates never open at O'HARE

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have flown 30 segments so far this year, 15 out of O'Hare and 15 into O'Hare. I am fairly certain that I have not once landed this year and pulled up directly to the gate. We inevitably have to pull over and wait 15-45 minutes for a gate to open up. This does not seem to happen at any other airport. This has always happened on occasion but now has come to be expected. Do I have the worst luck in the world or do you guys experience this too?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not you...

If flying UA into ORD there's always a lot of taxing around and sometimes we do 360s around Concourse C before a Gate opens.

Phorever and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting, because I never encounter this flying DL at ORD. Perhaps because DL has only a few gates and a limited number of flights, they can schedule and structure operations to avoid the problems. UA has so much traffic and and so many gates at ORD that they probably hit more cascading problems.

LETTERBOY and Phorever like this.
  4. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the circling, we have to just pull over for 20 minutes.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just bad timing on my part. It's been every flight

Gargoyle and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had big problems at ORD but I do at DFW for some reason. The worst is the baggage handling. Last week at ORD it took an hour to get the bags to the carousel.

Phorever and Gargoyle like this.
  6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trust me, EWR is *far* worse at this. 100% of my flights have no gate available for the plane when I land in EWR. Doesn't matter if I arrive early, on time or late.

ORD has gotten worse with this but still not as bad as EWR.

-Rob

Phorever and JLSocks like this.
  7. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Living in Chicago, I fly in/out of ORD all of the time and very rarely have this happen to me. It does happen sometimes, but the majority of times for me we just pull up to the gate. Of course, it sometimes feels like forever to get there when you land on the new runway that seems like it's miles away.

Phorever and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have better luck than me...