"Gate lice" and better boarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by delff128, Jul 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    iolaire and mht_flyer like this.
  2. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting. I often think of ways to improve the boarding process - mostly while waiting at the airport and seeing first hand all the deficiencies. I imagine rows of capsules (similar to an amusement ride) that could be pulled on/off the plane. This would obviously require re-engineering of passenger planes we know today.

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    didn't @wandering_aramean participate in/do a study on this a while back? I want to say I read a blog post of his on it.

4. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this is interesting and its better very good way to improve the process for boarding.

5. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some givens:

1. People are in a hurry to get on board if they have carryon luggage.
    2. The overhead bins are shared space.

Seems to me there is a very simple, equitable solution:

By installing partitions, we create compartments within each overhead bin that are labeled with a corresponding seat number. Each partition is just large enough to hold a standard rollaboard bag [if room permits, perhaps there would be extra space available to accommodate a folded up jacket].

If all passengers know they are guaranteed their storage space, they will be less likely to rush the gate. The residual effect being that they won't carry-on more than can fit in the compartment.

delff128 likes this.
  6. Shedbasher

Shedbasher Silver Member

Status Points:

Interesting idea but i dont know if the airlines would like this as it would add weight. Now might offset the cost of the weight is additional baggage fees........ or if they find a way to do it with out increased weight more rev for the airline......

7. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't add a significant amount of weight, just some simple partitions.

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be a whole new sub-economy. If you leave your assigned space open you can sell it to the highest bidder!