Gate Agents Flipping Priority AAccess / General Boarding Signs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by anabolism, Dec 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to get to my gate about 15 minutes prior to when I estimate boarding will begin. During this waiting period, I often see a gate agent walk up to the sign that says Priority AAccess / General Boarding and flip it around, to switch which lane is which. (Usually that also makes the signs not match the tape colors.)

I asked a gate agent once why he did so, but didn't get an answer (he said something like "Sometimes she likes to do that").

Anyone know?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Much like you, I tend to gravitate toward the gate a few minutes prior to when boarding will start (it's part of my naturally cautious nature). I have yet to see (or notice at least) anyone switching the signs for Priority AAcess/General Boarding.

3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can confirm I've seen them switched (STL & DFW). Do not know the reason. Assumed it had to do with the choice of scanner they were using in DFW, but since STL had only the one, not sure why they bothered. Now if we could just get the gate agents to enforce using the lines, I would feel like it might matter which one pax use.

marcwint55 and 8MiHi like this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My opin? The GA's like screwing with the PAX! It is entertainment for them! ;)

sendbillmoney, marcwint55 and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps it is the new sobriety test for passengers.

garyst16 likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe at STL they are just seeing if the signs are bolted down so when they shut down the last few AA gates at Lambert they can take them on the way out just before they turn out the lights :)

NYBanker and flyforawg like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this done a lot lately, at MIA, MCO, I think CUR could but could be wrong. I happened to ask an LAX gate agent a couple days ago (who hadn't flipped the sign) and he said different gate agents prefer the priority and general lanes on different sides. He said he himself always wants the general lane closest to the computer, with the priority lane the one with only a scanner, because there are more people in the general lane, and the more people the more likely there will be problems that require access to the computer to fix. But he said other agents like it the other way.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll have to keep my eyes open for this phenomenon when I start flying again in mid-January. I'm always camped out prior to boarding on the outskirts of the gate area and can't ever recall seeing this happen. I'm not exactly watching for it though.