Gate agent not filling empty FC seats?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by PHLCaptive, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PHL-SFO #969 on 2/21. I was upgraded 5 days out upon purchase of a B fare as a Plat. Boarding was a bit hectic due to the gate being one of the terribly designed ones located directly behind a bunch of support columns. During this I noticed there were two golds in front of me that had coach seats. So boarding finishes and I'm not really paying attention as I was seated with a co-worker. After we push back I realize that 4A and 2D are empty. I find it hard to believe there were no preferreds on the UG standby list, especially on a elite heavy route like PHL-SFO and given the fact that I saw two golds.

So what happened here? Lazy gate agent? I would PISSED if I didn't get upgraded and the plane left with open FC seats on a long transcon. I did overhear a gold complaining to the FA about halfway through the flight when he probably noticed there was no one in those seats.

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they were on award tickets which aren't eligible for upgrades? Another possibility is last-minute no-shows; the agent waited till the last minute to give away those seats but the doors closed before they had a chance to move anyone up. If it happened to you personally, I'd say write US a note and ask what the story was, but since you're an outside observer and don't have all the details, I'd let it go.

I was recently on a completely full DCA-PHL and the F seat next to me was empty and eventually no-showed. There were a LOT of elites bugging the FA to move up, including one extremely obnoxious party of two seated in the Y bulkhead who had seated themselves in F when the couple in Row 3 was late to arrive. I've really never seen worse behavior from elites, especially considering how short this flight was. In the end the seat was filled by my companion, a CP who flew just a little less than I did last year (we were burning some e-TUV's and had to book separately). So I know they do have a process in place. Sounds like either the Golds weren't eligible for upgrades, or the process got slipped.

3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the GA was saving those seats for his/her friends, and they never showed up? (Sorry.....that only happens on CO. [​IMG])

It's possible that the Golds were traveling on award tickets. What most likely happened is that there were two no-shows or mis-connects, and instead of following policy and clearing the next two people on the list, the GA just wanted to close out the flight and push it back. This happened to my parents (both CP's) recently on an LAX-PHL flight, and the FA apologized profusely that the GA (who came on board and was confronted by the FA about it) would not take the time to clear the last 3 seats. (My parents were #1 and #2.)

US has become manic about their on-time performance, and there is accountability for those employees who do customer-friendly things that go against policy -- like holding a flight to allow late arriving connections to board, or allow the GA time to reconcile the upgrade list. While it is great to depart and arrive on time or early, it's not so great when they cut corners and leave elites sitting in the back on a transcon.

4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flying PHX-ANC last week, and about two minutes before the door shut, there were still two open F seats, so the FA pulled two folks out of Y and put them in the seats. They were two college guys traveling together, and they were high fiving each other, pretty funny stuff...you could tell they were excited so I don't think they were preferred, I think it was just the FA being nice.

However, right as they were shutting the door, a woman sprinted onto the plane who had just come from a late connection, and she was supposed to be in one of the two F seats. They FA apologized to the two guys but told them one would have to go back to Y...again, funny to see them talk to each other as they figured out which one got to stay.

I haven't seen this happen before--I would imagine they thought the woman was going to misconnect or else they wouldn't have done it, and everyone handled it well, but it was just pretty funny.

Great First class flight attendant by the way--I had her again 24 hours later on the return ANC-PHX flight. She remembered my drink order from the first flight...overall great service from her!

5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw the OP's Golds would also be ineligible for upgrades if crediting to another carrier.

6. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been on flights with empty FC seats and have never understood why the FA won't fill the seat. I am surprised that DeacFlyer1 actually saw that happen once.

7. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FA's aren't supposed to fill the empty seats. That's the GA's job. The FA's don't consistently have the list of who's waiting for an upgrade and in what order. The FA's also shouldn't have to be stuck in a flying tube with a bunch of elites who are angry because the FA upgraded A but not B. Let the GA sort it; they won't have to be abused all the way across the country!

8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish that US would change this policy. UA allows you to credit to another mileage program while still having your UA status recognize. I know that it's double dipping in a sense, but if you earned your status with a carrier, and you are flying that carrier, why should you not be entitled to capitalize on the benefits of your status?

9. desert_gecko
    Original Member

desert_gecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a flight once on an A319 or A320, and was the only person in the whole F cabin. The pilot came back and asked if I had enough room [​IMG]

10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have had this happen to me once or twice....once on a late departure CLT to somewhere in Florida...had a really nice chat with the crew.

11. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once had the plane to myself several months after 9/11. I was the only passenger. The FA said Honey, I am not going to bother you. Here is two cans of soda and two bags of pretzels. Pretty cool to have the plane to myself.

12. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you moved up front?
    I would've asked the FA to park the snack basket and beverage cart in the aisle behind my seat. [​IMG]

scubaflyer likes this.
  13. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I actually had a great FA do this for me on a flight. I did a last minute move up, so the F cabin was full. I knew another Chairman who was sitting up in F, so she made a joke with the F cabin FA that a Chairman was having to "slum it" back in Y. The FA came back to joke with me and give me a little grief. I gave it right back to her. She must have enjoyed the exchange, since the FA actually brought the snack basket back to me to grab a snack, took my drink order, and didn't charge me for it [​IMG]. It was quite amusing, since alot of other people in the preferred seating area (right behind the F cabin) were looking at me like "who is this guy?". Yes, the FA got a A&B cert from me.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  14. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a regional US plane. No First.

15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be quite mad as well if F left with empty seats and there were elites still back in Y. There are times when I miss the upgrade and would like to hang out by the podium in case there are any no-shows, but them I am afraid of not getting any overhead space cause US allows oversized bags on the plane that take up the whole bin.

16. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you can never know the true story of an elite who isn't upgraded without asking that other person, it's probably best in situations like this to not worry about that other person, and just worry about yourself. Be mad if F leaves with empty seats and YOU are not upgraded, as long as you're following the basic upgrade rules (put yourself on the waiting list at OLCI which may require splitting the PNR, traveling on a paid ticket and crediting US, etc). Don't read too much into the fact that elites are not upgraded if you're not one of them. My experience has been that the most vocal complainers often do not have a right to be upgraded to begin with--- like one fellow I saw on ATL-CLT who was complaining bitterly about not being upgraded, but had actually paid to fly with DL and only ended up on the US plane because he'd been reaccomodated by DL on US metal when weather started causing irrops. That person in my book has no right to be upgraded--- he's not booked on US ticketstock or even a codeshare, not crediting to US, etc. Many times the people complaining the hardest will leave out a lot of the important facts, and it just serves to stir up conflict and discontent among folks on forums like this.

I'm not saying the system is perfect--- we all know there are flaws--- but unless you are the one not getting upgraded, you don't have the full story, and it's better not to jump to the conclusion that US is screwing over its elites when the reality may be quite different.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  17. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you get added to the wait-list automatically with OLCI, or there is a special option you have to request. When missing the upgrade and doing OLCI I dont think I have seen where you can be added to the wait list. Any help/guidance on to where to find this option when OLCI???

18. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The worst is when the FA tells you to hang by the podium.......and then after the entire aircraft has boarded s/he changes her/his tune and tells you take your assigned seat in Y. [​IMG]

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without any overhead space I presume[​IMG]

20. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is an "Add to Standby" button...I think it is to the left of the "Print BP" link (I've been fortunate enough not to need it in a while[​IMG]).

In any event, "Add to Standby" does work. The last time I used it, a Club Saint pushed the upgrade through. Even cooler was the first time: it was my first flight as a paper Silver...clicked the button, went to print my BP and voila: Seat 1D.

21. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should get a little link at the bottom of the OLCI screen that says "Add to waiting list" but there are a few reasons why you might not see it, the number one being more than one person on the PNR. Even if the two passengers are both preferred, you won't see this prompt unless there is exactly one person on the PNR. I've seen some "weirdness" when I've been upgraded before OLCI for Segment 1 and not for Segment 2 and I'm checking in at 24-hours before Segment 1 but more than 24-hours before Segment 2. That part, though, doesn't happen often to me so my experience is limited and, at this point, antecdotal. I do know, though, that you won't get the Waitlist Me prompt if you're not alone on the PNR.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think why I havent seen it was because my wife and I were travelling together on the same PNR. Should I go up to the gate once I get through security to be added to the standby list or to a Club Lounge desk?

23. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely the Club.

24. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on the Club, but I would check first to see the chances of the upgrade actually coming through at the gate. If you're PP and there's 3 CP's before you and no open F seats, then it might not be worth even bothering, because your PNR will be split meaning there's zero chance for the companion to get upgraded with you on the return.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  25. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the Club, I find that at DCA they've been unhelpful of late, whereas
    the ones in CLT, LGA, and BOS remain as good as ever. Does someone at DCA
    have it in for me (I doubt that, as they are otherwise quite nice), or did
    someone's wrist recently get slapped for overstepping the bounds?