Gas prices must be going up

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by 2soonold, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I needed a cheap rental over the weekend. I had a coupon with National that actually made National my cheapest choice; and that was with a compact car. At the ATL location, they now just have one Aisle for all non-Emerald cars. I picked up late Thursday night. It shouldn't have been a surprise to me that there were no compact cars on the Aisle; just 1 Impala and 3 Malibu. (It was a surprise to me that the first Malibu I considered appeared to not have been vacumed, as there were food crumbs everywhere.)
    As I stood there trying to decide between the cars, none of which I wanted to drive; the staff brought out an Avenger with lower miles and in better condition. I took it. But the experience took me back to 2008, when compact cars we so hard to come by, and all the rental companies were "upgrading" me into larger cars that I didn't want to drive.
    National at ATL does have some compacts and econos in their fleet. But with the price of gasoline going up, it stands to reason that it may be harder to get you hands on one. Alamo has always had an econo for me everytime I rented one, but those rentals won't count toward your Emerald Status. Enterprise has usually had at least a compact; but usually with over 24,000 miles on it.
    Without that National coupon, I would go for the Enterprise on the rentals that I "needed" rather than "wanted".;)

CharlesG, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my local Enterprise locations do seem to have cars with many more miles on them than the National location at ORD.

I do find myself searching for higher mile per gallon cars now when in the EE section, for instance just recently I actually got into a nearly brand new Dodge Durango, started it up, but then thought about the poor highway mileage that the Durango has, so went to the Ford Edge that generally gets 7 MPG better the Durango. I needed an 4x4 or AWD as I was expecting snow/ice in N Wisconsin or else I would have made a different choice alltogether.

So higher gas prices are playing a part in the rental car choices I make.

icurhere2, CharlesG and 2soonold like this.
  3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also a ton of Impalas and Malibus on the lots because both are soon to be replaced by redesigned models. GM is dumping loads of those cars, which represent the last of the old GM stuff, into rental fleets right now to clear out inventory for their replacements. Expect that issue to get worse before it gets better.

Sweet Willie, CharlesG and 2soonold like this.
  4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had some better and some worse rentals with National. I got several compliments on the Avenger. It could have happened that another rental car would have "upgraded" me from compact, too. But, I wasn't paticularly satisfied with this weekend rental experience; and found myself fondly remembering those days of old with the Kia Rio LX.:)

CharlesG likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    In states where there are E-85 stations, and if in that state E-85 is cheaper than cheapest grade gasoline, a Flex Fuel Impala or Malibu to me is a no brainer as a choice from the Emerald Aisle.

In Minnesota in 2011 E-85 was $0.20/gallon cheaper than traditional gasoline. In Oklahoma in 2011 E-85 was the same price as traditional gasoline.

2soonold likes this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take slightly more expensive gas and a car that's a bit more up to date on features and appearance, as well as better to drive. But go ahead and snag the old Chevys. Every one you rent is one fewer I have to try and avoid. :D

That said, I don't think the Malibu is awful to drive. It's just feeling dated now compared to its competition. It certainly isn't the boat that the Imapala is.

Traveller likes this.
  7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well when I travel with my fiance, we carry a ton of luggage. Thus a reason to "like" the "Impailers" and Malibu's.

Yeah, the Mustang we were "left" with twice at Avis locations in 2012 as one of the last cars available at the airport was sure fun to drive, but it was a sheer miracle our luggage fit inside.

8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of trunk size, while the Malibu's trunk interior is pretty huge, trying to get a large suitcase through the relatively tiny trunk opening on that car can be quite the challenge.

2soonold likes this.
  9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate, hate, hate those Chevy cars. Can never get comfortable in the seat, the impala has blind spots that annoy me (the malibu isn't quite as bad), and they just never seem to drive well.

I was even upgraded to a new camaro out of MLB early last week and almost took the damn thing back because of the seat and blind spots.

I'm not anti-domestic, my car at home is a jeep, but those Chevy cars just plain suck and I cringe when I think that some day I'm going to walk onto the lot and face nothing but impalas and malibus.