Garuda teams with Korean Air on frequent flyer program

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by sobore, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...s-with-korean-air-frequent-flyer-program.html

Flag carrier Garuda Indonesia announced a joint frequent flyer program with Korean Air, which took effect June 21, the airline said in a statement on Saturday.

Members of the Garuda Frequent Flyer (GFF) program and Korean Air’s SkyPass program will benefit from the cooperation by accruing mileage for flying both Korean Air and Garuda or any Garuda–Korean Air code share flights.

“With the new program, GFF and SkyPass members are also allowed to redeem the mileage for free flights with Korean Air or Garuda and will only be required to pay taxes, service fees and insurance,” Garuda spokesman Pujobroto said in the statement.

The mileage can also be redeemed for merchandise from both Garuda and Korean Air flights. Korean Air currently serves more than 130 domestic and international routes.

The joint frequent flyer program is Garuda’s first step in improving its services before it fully joins the SkyTeam global airline alliance in 2012.

By that time, GFF membership will provide various competitive features, allowing the members to accrue and redeem mileage on flights with all of Garuda’s partners.

GFF currently has more than 500,000 members.

Garuda joined SkyTeam on Nov. 23, 2010. Korean Air was a founding airline along with Aeromexico, Air France and Delta Airlines.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is very confusing. AFAIK KE and Garuda still have separate FF programs. Both are now in SkyTeam and the provisions to earn and spend on either carrier seem no different from the relation between other pairs in SkyTeam. There's no mention of codeshares and certainly nothing like the DL/AF-KLM joint venture.

Does anyone know whether Garuda has any partners not in SkyTeam?

3. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Garuda is not yet in Skyteam. The date the article mentioned was when GA was approved to join Skyteam, but the start date is expected to be in 2012. GA, however, already codeshares with KE between ICN and CGK. The article is not very clear and has incorrect information. Like you, I also think both airlines maintain separate FF programs, but you can earn and redeem in each other's program, not a joint one. This agreement looks like the beginning of a full cooperation (when GA starts its Skyteam membership).

As far as I know, GA doesn't have other airlines partners at this time. But, they do have a limited number of hotel partners.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I was wondering about the November 23, 2010 versus June 21, 2011 dates as I would have assumed that mutual earn and burn would be required to start no later than the date of full membership, although individual partners could do something earlier. I guess I should have disbelieved the November 23 claim in the news story too.