Gaming The Denali National Park Road Lottery

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    In Part 1 of this series on the Denali National Park Road Lottery, I described the process for obtaining a permit. I also noted that the chances of winning the lottery are only 14% for each entry, which although better than your odds of winning the Powerball lottery, aren't really all that good. In this post, I'll describe our lottery strategy and our experience on Road Lottery weekend. As I said, we really lucked into Road Lottery, meaning that our trip was planned for that weekend before we knew about Road Lottery. That means that had we not been able to secure a permit, we wouldn't have been able to visit the park at all since the buses don't run that weekend. And neither my wife nor myself had ever been there before. This caused a moment of panic as we realized that we really really really needed to obtain a permit. Odds of 1 in 7 weren't going to cut it. (It's funny how this world works -- you can go from taking a random, unplanned trip to Alaska just because the fare is cheap, to suddenly having your heart set on seeing this one place, which you otherwise wouldn't have cared about. But I digress.) My wife and I are basically nerds so we started studying the system. It turns out that while you can only enter the lottery once per person, the permits are fully and freely transferable. So as long as you have enough friends and family members, you can basically enter as many times as you want. So how many times should you enter? The post Gaming The Denali National Park Road Lottery appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...