Galleries

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Bossreggie, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi All.

Do any other people find that T3 Galleries is a little on the"dated" side.

I like their selection of Whiskey.... Also the Champagne bar is ok... But IMHO... It just seems a bit tired. (Posted on QANTAS forum as I am travelling on QF this evening)

2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not as nice as T5 or QF FLs but I think thats more the space they had to work with in an old terminal and lack of light and wow.
    In terms of age its very new.

3. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you're in Galleries F Bossreggie. I can only compare Galleries J between T3 and T5 and IMHO they are chalk and cheese. T5 lounges seem so much larger, brighter and newer...though that's probably not unexpected, given the comparative age of the two terminals and the limited number of BA departures from T3 cf. T5.

So it's not surprising that F is a similar situation.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the benefit of those not familiar, this is referring to London Heathrow lounge used by Qantas (and BA for kangaroo route departures).

5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just the age. As moa999 says, it's just as much (if not more) the structure of the building that they've had to build the space into. The same applies to (for example) the check-in area. It feels really cramped and poky compared to T5 - or even the rebuilt T4 (much to the irritation of the QF staff who suffered through the whole rebuilding process, and then were moved out to T3 just as the impressive final results were unveiled at T4).

BA also has a significant number of shorthaul departures from T3, for which the two Galleries lounges also provide.

With the resumption of a lot of T3 flying by BA, the new BA lounges are by any measure a significant improvement on the previous BA T3 lounge (which ironically had previously been the QF T3 lounge).

Princess Fiona likes this.
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    MAD, BCN and HEL. (Maybe VIE?)

7. dot

dot Silver Member

Status Points:
    In comparing the T5 F and T3 F lounges, I actually don't mind T3. It's nowhere near as big as the T5 lounge, but the T3 food is the same, the showers are the same, the seats are as comparable. I've used the T3 lounge about eight time in the past six months and the T5 lounge twice.

8. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they are all better than the LHR T5 B Gate Galleries lounge, which has quietness going for it, but is otherwise uninspiring.

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, VIE as well at the moment. MAD, BCN and HEL are because of the IB and AY codeshares, but there's always* been some other short-haul route(s) as well on some basis which I've never really understood - so I'm never sure which other destinations there might be at any given time.

There's a surprising number of these short-haul departures. There are 8x daily BAs to BCN, which IB doesn't operate now. 5x daily BAs to MAD (plus 8x IBs); and 2x daily to HEL (plus 4x daily AYs). And 4x daily VIEs.

* Since the move from T1/T4 to T3/T5.

10. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used T3 Galleries twice last year and found it to be acceptable, even getting some bubbly for breakfast. Fairly decent food available and a good selection of drinks, though did seem to fill up fast.

11. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the T3 Galleries has been open for around 18 months. As Globaliser posted, they are constrained by the structure of the building itself.

12. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the T3 F lounge, not as much of a barn as T5, fab spa attendants and agree re champagne bar bossreggie.
    Biggest bonus is whenever I'm there I am going home :)

kiwi likes this.
  13. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only problems with it, IMO, are the height of the ceilings and natural light (or lack thereof).

Otherwise, the staff are friendly, reasonably close to the gates, and easy to go lounge-hopping if that's your wish!

14. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about it feeling 'dated', although I do think the BA 'blue' sometimes looks dated due to the actual blue colour they've chosen. It's not the strong 'Ford' blue which looks good everywhere. For example in the bathrooms in the Galleries First lounge is the blue benchtops, it looks dated and cheap. Something you'd find in a prep.

Food is ok (even if a lot of walking is required), only downside is if you want a bottle of water, then its 1L or tap!

15. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I'm in T3 F again for the second time in a week. After visiting the other lounges down the hall (AA First, Serviceair), the BA Galleries is by far superior. Sure it's not FLounge but there's an OK menu, OK bubbly and the world's best chocolate cookies.

16. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    T5 is better but not that much better than T3 to decide to fly via HKG instead of BKK or SIN.

One thing the lounge is missing is 300mls of bottles of water so you can take them on the flight with you. :(

17. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's to stop you taking the 1L bottle with you? That's what I normally do.