Galapagos Islands - Share your photos of Darwin's Wonder

Discussion in 'Central/South America' started by Junca, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is almost impossible to take a bad photo in the Galapagos Islands. It is a truly specatular place. It was a hard choice to make - deciding on a handful to share. But am looking forward to all the spectacular photos others on MP have to share. (And I hope I have the place names correct!?) Resolution was greatly reduced for online viewing, but hope they come through ok.

South Plaza.

[​IMG]

Isla Isabela Punta Moreno

[​IMG]

Sombrero Chino

[​IMG]

San Cristobal Marina

[​IMG]

Kicker Rock

[​IMG]

2. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    And ... Some ... Birds

Albatross pair

[​IMG]

Blue footed booby

[​IMG]

Frigate birds

[​IMG]

Galapagos Dove

[​IMG]

Cormorant -- i wanna be able to fly! (they, obviously, have atrophied wings)

[​IMG]

3. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is one of my dreams to visit the galapagos! These pictures are great. When did you make the trip? Any tips for someone planning on making the journey?

4. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh boy. I'd have to think about that. I went in 2005. It was overwhelming deciding on which company to go with (went on a sailboat). It also tends to be a rather expensive place to travel, but I figured it was a tremendous once in a lifetime trip.

There are very many options, but I would not recommend going on a larger vessel. I believe it was a maximum of 16 people per guide - and you have to have a guide to get on many of the islands. Some companies say they are "small group" (or small boat) but have 30-50 people. That is NOT a small group for Galapagos. I was on a sailboat with 14 -- recounted it was 12 -- people (I went with a group of 4). The sailboat was lovely, but we didn't sail very much and went much slower motoring than other type boats. So, the first suggestion I can think of is to go with as small a group as possible. I don't have alot of knowledge of how you can do this "on your own." It is a place that is getting loved-to-death, so to speak, so maybe go sooner than later! (of course, I'd go everywhere I want to go sooner than later :D).

kwai likes this.
  5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been wanting to go for years... .should have done it when I had money a few years back. Oh well, always good to have places on your 'desire' list. [​IMG]

6. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We went in August 2008.It is much better in real life than any documentary.Although you are meant to stay clear of the wildlife they dont stay clear of you.So first a pair of Blue footed boobies doing their courting virtually at my feet-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later that day it was the gannets-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Junca likes this.
  7. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We even discovered a snake-
    [​IMG]

It soon became the hunted-
    [​IMG]

And this fellow made it clear I had to move
    [​IMG]
    So he could take off-
    [​IMG]

But nature is also cruel-a male killed this chick in front of me,the distressed mother is coming fast
    [​IMG]

Photos all taken with an 8MP Sony point and shoot.

sobore likes this.
  8. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We went on a 16 pax boat the Athala 2.very comfortable-
    [​IMG]

Though occasionally we picked up an extra pax-
    [​IMG]
    Really clear waters-
    [​IMG]

beautiful sunsets-