Gaining Status Without BIS

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Roaddoggin, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this is the newbie forum, BIS = Butt In Seat - real miles flown

I've been doing well with obtaining Delta status, but now I'm looking at other programs/alliances. With Delta, one can earn MQMs via cobranded credit cards and occasional promotions through partners (Hilton and Hertz are both awarding Delta MQMs at the moment). Are there other programs that allow MQM accrual from non-flight activity?

I've only been flying about 100-150K BIS for the past two years (granted, I haven't done any mileage runs or taken any vacation in that time), and would love to stretch that out among multiple programs while still achieving top status with more than one program/alliance.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not aware of any other programs. You were able to do this with AA until recently...

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think with AA, if you spend $40k you get 10k EQM. (on the Citi EXP M/C)

That's all I Can think of.

downhillcrasher and malikguy like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep --- w/ Delta you can buy them (for now at least) and once upon a time they gave MQMs for donations to a certain charity --- if fact it's possible to get SE w/o even going to an airport.

DTWBOB

5. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could never comprehend why someone would do that!

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    About a year ago there was a promo where you got silver status for transferring a certain amount of AMEX MR points to DL.

7. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm...
    It looks like I'll rollover 8-10K MQMs this year, not counting any last minute mileage/mattress/car? runs. I have Christmas week off. Maybe I should scout out HKG. :)
    I can purchase 10K MQMs.
    I can get 10K (possibly 30K) MQMs with a Delta Reserve Amex.

So, I can start the year with 2014 DL silver (maybe gold) already in the bag, freeing up those miles to go to another program.

I can see why some folks are so into this stuff!!

8. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the Delta Amex...

I have a personal Delta Platinum Amex that I applied for before learning much about card churning and without realizing that a "Delta Platinum Amex" is not a Platinum Amex (I wanted concierge, free Global Entry, etc.).

I have an offer open on my account to upgrade to a Delta Reserve Amex. The upgrade offer is 5k MQMs and 5k skymiles. Seems low, however if I recall correctly, I can't get a new Delta Amex unless I cancel the platinum and wait 12 months. Might it be better to take the upgrade, get additional MQMs through spend, and maybe get a business reserve amex next year, cancelling this one so I can reapply for a personal card in 2014?

9. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also buy PQMs from UA via their 'elite accelerator'. If you really don't want to fly, book a ticket, buy the miles, then refund it. It can be expensive though, running about 10 cents a mile (and sometimes more).

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can get a business DL Reserve while your personal Platinum DL card is still on the clock. You can't have 2 of the same flavor, but you can have 1 flavor each with Biz and Personal.

11. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    How soon before reapplying for a personal DL card do I have to cancel it?

12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a personal DL card and want another one later, wait a year. But you can get the business card any time, so long as it's another level of Skymiles card