Gaining access to *A lounges with a *regular* boarding pass but with a *A Gold Card?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by aaroncolorado, Dec 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aaroncolorado

aaroncolorado Active Member

Status Points:
    I have read over many posts about if people can gain access to certain lounges with only a BP that states elite status but I have the opposite question.

I have A3 *A gold status. I have an international trip coming up in a few weeks, multi segments USA-Asia. I am hoping to get UAL miles for this run as it will grant me UAL Premier Silver. (I realize there are posts out there about the ethics of using one airline's benefits on a trip while claiming miles towards another airline). I am not looking to do this on a continuing basis but rather this time in order to gain UAL Premier Silver.

Will I be able to use my UAL FF number on my boarding pass (which has no elite status) yet enter the frequent flyer loungers using my Gold Card from A3? I HIGHLY prefer not to initially enter in my A3 FF# on my BP and then change over before boarding the flight. I've tried this and my A3 number, despite being confirmed and showing on my BP my UA FF#, stuck to my account and ended up crediting the miles to A3.
    (I will be flying Asiana Air.)

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes I have never actually had a problem doing this, i show the card and they let me in. Once in a great while an agent makes up a rule that would say you don't have access, but you do not need to credit to the program in order to use the program for access.

3. aaroncolorado

aaroncolorado Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, gleff! I posted this question in FlyerTalk and no one knew over there. Thanks for sharing your experience.

4. apatrickl

apatrickl Active Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm Gleff's point. Showing a *A gold card (regardless of FF# on BP) usually gives you all its benefits, especially so in Europe.

Without the Gold card things get much trickier.

Enjoy Asiana

Counsellor and 8MiHi like this.
  5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen on FT that for TK's lounge at IST you need to have your Gold FFP number on your BP to gain access. I have seen some posts saying that you have to credit your miles into your *A gold account.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had similar experiences at TK's IST lounge where they want to put the *G number in the account. Otherwise I haven't had anyone insist that it was needed, though some have started down that line occasionally. I used to do it all the time with a BD *G card and it was fine.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had a problem in Europe with having one program on the boarding pass and another with the gold card to enter the lounge. You should be able to pull it off and I do not understand the logic behind the ethics of it but I am using the benefits I am getting from any program even if I am to pursue another program.

8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    The logic is that the *A carrier you have gold with pays for the lounge access. Therefore they want you to be loyal to them. I saw some people first credit the *A G acct # at check in & use the lounge. Then they change it back to the FFP # of another *A carrier at the gate before boarding.

9. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    With A3 *Gold, is it easy to access a *A lounge overseas with guest as well (with UA FF# on BP, but ONLY showing your *A Gold card)? Or will they be more inclined to check your BP for matched *Gold status because you have a guest?

10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience as well.

Back when United had a Red Carpet Club at FRA, and I was flying UA, I'd show my LH Senator card and use the Miles & More lounges (much better) with no problems.

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have had no problem with this. If an agent indicates otherwise they are wrong -- but I wouldn't argue, I would happily change the frequent flyer # on my reservation, go into the club, and then change it back.

Counsellor and SuperKirby like this.