*G Seating Privileges?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Explore, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right upfront, let me say that UA's policy is obnoxious.

On AC, what seats do foreign *G members have access to?

Thanks.....

G_G likes this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first few rows of Y are reserved for AC elites only until on-line check-in opens 24H before the flight. The difference is not as drastic as with UA, though, as the seats and seat spacing are the same as the rest of Y, just closer to the front of the plane.

3. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preferred seat selection is complimentary for
    • Air Canada Super Elite members – with a Tango Plus or Latitude fare;
    • Air Canada Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members with other airlines - with a Latitude fare.

flying-gal likes this.
  4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about *G on an award?

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't "preferred" seats in Air Canada parlance the exit row seats, rather than the first few rows of Y?

6. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preferred seats are mainly located in exit rows (so not exclusively)
    When I'm trying to select a seat in economy on a 77W, as *Gold I can't select rows 18 to 30.

7. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't know :)

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the new designation since exit and bulkhead seats started to be sold for $, or given to SEs. In the past it referred to the first few rows of economy which at one time did have a few extra inches of pitch, but that was lost when the front cabins were downsized.

As for UA's policy, because the first rows of coach are E+ and offer significantly more pitch, these are paid supplement seats made available to those willing to pay, and to its own elites. There is no rationale for giving these seats gratis to other program STARGolds because this is a marketing advantage for being a UA elite.

9. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not personally inconvenienced on UA, as a 1K, but I would have to disagree with you. Star carriers should not be competing among themselves for elite members. The competition should be between Star and other alliances/non-affiliated carriers. In most cases, you're largely locked into your home country's FF program anyway.

I like to get the best seats on other Star carriers as well as UA, as a privilege of having *G status. And in the past, I have. But I can't expect to get this privilege if UA denies it to other top tier members of the Star Alliance.

MSPeconomist, LAman, milchap and 2 others like this.
  10. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with you : I can't understand why when I'm flying LH (*G status) I often been given a middle seat in the last rows :(
    OW is different : with my emerald (BA Gold) status I can select preferred seats on CX.

MSPeconomist and milchap like this.
  11. I have been treated fairly well as a *G on other foreign *A carriers. I have flown BMI and got a good aisle seat without asking for it an two segements; same with LX on a RT ZRH/DUB/ZRH' Just last week I flew TG HKG/BKK/HKG and got aisle seating although quite far back in the cabin.
    In January I took an AC code share on UA hkg/sin/hkg and was given an aisle seat each segment but very far back in the Y cabin. On the code share I was able to choose my seats as it was an AC booking but had to call the SE desk to get the actual seats but nothing was reserved in particular for *G's.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't understand that either. I have flown LH intra-Europe flights in economy and always automatically received a seat in the first several rows of that section where LH's own elites are seated. On all but one of these six flights I've even had an empty seat next to my aisle seat. But this is not a paid premium economy seat so it is accessible to all STAR elites.

The point is E+ is a distinct coach product and not just a preferred seating section for elites. Do you expect SK or NZ to seat you in their premium economy seats just because you're a STARGold? If you want to sit in E+ you either pay the premium or attain elite status in MP.

13. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the exception of space+ on NZ, there is no comparison between E+ and premium economy on other airlines. E+ is nice, but there is no separate catering. With that said, I still don't think that UA has any obligation to seat other *G in those seats but it is an added bonus when it does happen.

bmi also seems to treat *G better than most the few times that I have been with them. I have ended up in an exit row with the middle seat blocked off before. Not sure if this is an LH influence but it is appreciated.

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it's really quid pro quo: either you treat *Gold the same as your own elites, or else you should not expect other partner airlines to treat your elites the same as their own.

Somehow I believe the concept of Star Alliance and *Gold is to give elite travellers the elite benefits regardless of which partner airline they are flying on.

SK2868 and MSPeconomist like this.
  15. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where could I find which booking classes are included in Latitude fares ?

FriendlySkies likes this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are listed in our wiki here - however there are some things which need to be corrected on that page, but the booking classes should be correct I believe. - Y & B... assuming I understood the context of your question correctly. :)

MSPeconomist and G_G like this.
  17. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    you understood perfectly and I read the wiki before I asked the question but I didn't find the answer because it's for a flight between Germany and Canada and not a Transborder / Domestic flight.

18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well we know the fare class page needs updating. Just not getting anyone to get the correct information to-date. Sorry about that. Hoping someone can help us out here.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  19. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    because I'd like to know with which booking class I will have a complimentary selection of preferred seats

20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unsure if this meets what you need .. I think it may ... have a look? Seems that Y & B are the fare classes per this table anyway? Note that for this table USA is not considered international and it has its own table under the Flights tab on the link below

Link

4-19-2011 4-01-23 PM.jpg

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks that answers my question :)
    As B fare is almost the same price as business discounted it's not really worth.
    BTW on my OLCI YUL-FRA I've been offered an upgrade from S booking class to Business for $729.
    Is it usual ? Is it the usual price ?

FriendlySkies likes this.
  22. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it helped.
    I think what you are seeing is the Last Minute Upgrade (LMU) being offered at OLCI time. LMUs do happen from time to time (I have not had them on all flights - but on many) and as for the price - I do not think there is a set price... and I do not know of anyone who knows the algorithm for the pricing. I personally have had very small costs for LMU and also offered high amounts too... I think it may depend on the number of seats still available in J to try to be filled, but even that I cannot be sure of.

In the end it boils down to what do you think you want to pay for the upgrade to Executive First for this flight. For some people (me included) sometimes the cost is justified for the particular trip. Others will says the costs are always out-of-line. In the end only you can say what is reasonable for you :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  23. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a while in The Other Board, there was a thread in the AC forum where people would report their LMU successes. From my recollection, the thread ended up being people reporting all the LMU offers they received. For me, the rate is around $60/hr based on two data points: a YYZ-SEA for $349 + $17.45 sales tax and a SFO-YYZ for around the same price

24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - I had not dived into the numbers that deepy so appreciate you providing this.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be worse- BA charges for seat selection even in Business- a colleague of mine was pretty surprised to be asked to pay 75 GBP each way to reserve a seat on a ticket that was >7 000 GBP- and his AA EXP did absolutely no good.

I do think, however, that seat selection at least for *G should be available even for preferred seating- it would create a lot of goodwill (of course, my opinion doesn't matter at all as I am not an airline marketing executive).

MSPeconomist likes this.