FYI to all Hurricane Sandy and Northeast travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by boondr, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it wasn't already painfully obvious, a TON of flights are being cancelled. Some things I know for sure.

SWA has cancelled ALL flights after 10pm this evening in the Mid-Atlantic corridor through Monday and most likely Tues.

FAA Traffic Management also received notice from AAL, and UAL at a minimum of the intent to cancel most if not all flights in the region. Check your flights regardless of location because equipment/crew could get stuck places and the ripple effect could get you somewhere far away, ie-LAX.

2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, AA has just announced ALL flights through Tuesday, at a BUNCH of airports, cancelled. Not that this is any surprise to anyone who has followed the news this weekend, but still, wow!

From American Airlines, on Facebook:
    "Flights to and from DCA, IAD, BWI, BDL, PHL, EWR, JFK, ORF and LGA are cancelled through Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy. Please check our Travel Policy here: http://bit.ly/ALERTAA1 "

boondr likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Boston flights all cancelled Monday, rebooked SFO-BOS that arrives Tuesday night keeping my fingers crossed.

boondr likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I had noted with some interest that AA had not cancelled BOS (or PIT, which I think is an Eagle destination?) on that list of airports I posted above. So UA cancelled BOS and AA didn't -- still wonder if they will fly there tomorrow???

boondr and mht_flyer like this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, how prophetic you were. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) just posted this on "Facebook:"

"LAX Operations reports 129 cancellions for today and tomorrow due to Hurricane Sandy. Passengers check with your airline for instructions."

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Often, all one hears from hotels and other establishments during storms like this are tales of profiteering. I found this email from Kimpton Hotels to be a refreshing change:
    Dear Members and Friends,

With nearly 5,000 flights canceled already due to Hurricane Sandy, we know that
    there will be a ton of folks stuck on the East Coast. If that person is you, and
    you're in need of a warm, comfortable place to stay, please know that our caring
    hotel teams are there for you.

We're offering 20% off at ALL available properties in Boston, New York City,
    Philadelphia, Baltimore, Alexandria & Washington DC from Monday through
    Wednesday (10/29 - 10/31).

Book online here: http://click.kimpton-email.com/?qs=6ab92a12ba069734afd0278b3b43d788c46e571b24ec4b87e88b16fb2908e1c2
    or call our Service Desk at 1-800-KIMPTON and use rate code SANDY.

Please stay inside and safe as Hurricane Sandy approaches and feel free to let us
    know if there is anything that we can help with. We're thinking about you, and our
    Kimpton families in the East.

All my best,
    XXXXX, Sr. Director, Loyalty & Relationship Marketing

7. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received the same, but you beat me to the post.

Yet again, I'm reminded why I chose Kimpton when they're available.

thetravelanalyst likes this.
  8. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am scheduled to fly out Thursday AM, and I'm not worried about my flight (BWI -> SFO), but I have a friend flying out at the same time (BWI -> YYZ) and he's convinced he's going to have problems because of all the cancelled flights. I'm right in being not-too-concerned, right? All the displaced passengers from today and tomorrow will be rebooked around people that have existing flights booked and are checked-in on time, correct?

9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    BDL is closing this afternoon too.

10. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    One issue is where the equipment and crews end up, not just the pax.

boondr likes this.
  11. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only the airline can answer that, most airlines have "evacuated" their equipment from the areas to be effected. SWA for example moved all their BWI planes to PIT last night.

sellthesedownfalls likes this.
  12. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ooof, I didn't think about that, thanks. I'm flying United, he's on Air Canada.

His proposed solution was to go to the airport 5 hours early, which I don't think will do any good, since if the plane's not there, it's not there, you know? I guess we'll just be flexible. :)

13. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a lot more AA, Virgin Atlantic and UA places at LAX than normal today. I wouldn't expect that they would have evacuated planes that far, but if they were canceled, they probably stayed there.

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I left CLT this afternoon, it looks like a Boeing/Airbus showroom with all the planes parked waiting for the storm to pass.