FWIW, EK Sorry Relationship Over & Would Be Happy To Have It Back

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by From NYC, Jun 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Should UA Re-establish a Relationship with EK Skywards?

1. Yes

88.2%
  2. No

11.8%
  1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I also posted the below on that other frequent traveler forum. But,...

I'm at the Dubai Do and this morning was our day to visit EK HQ. They put on a terrific series of events for their 1st ever meeting with FT'ers.

Amongst those present was their person in charge of Skywards. At the meal they provided after the events, I was present during a conversation just before we headed back to our hotels about links in the US. I spoke up and said that I was a CO flier was very sorry that the relationship with EK was over; that I felt many CO/UA people felt the same.

Brian said that they had been very happy with the relationship and that it had been CO/UA who'd terminated it, kinda out of the blue; that they would readily enter into a relationship again with UA.

There really wasn't the time to pursue this, nor get into the effects of route competition, or them becoming part of * Alliance. But I found it a bit counter-intuitive that it was CO/UA that had terminated the relationship, and also very interesting that they'd be happy to have the relationship up and running again.

What are the chances we MP'ers can push this issue with Smisek and all and make it happen?

BTW, I asked Brian if it was okay for me to repeat the conversation, and he said that I could.

2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is likely because UA flies to the area and they want us to start going through the UA hubs to get to the Middle East as opposed to flying direct from IAH or other EK gates. It would be great to have a Middle East airline in *A. It is a hole in the current structure.

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

To add to that, I'd say it's beyond just wanting you to use UA/CO to get to the Middle East, they want you to use their JV partners as well, since they're making money from them too.

Headed to RUH? Go IAH-FRA-RUH rather than IAH-DXB-RUH.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once more an EK exec is being ingenuous and playing the coy game of "we'd love to continue our relationship" knowing full well their mission is to kill every legacy carrier flying internationally and suck every one of those carriers' current and future customers onto EK's planes by flooding the market with cheaper seats. Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing!

As for having a Middle Eastern carrier in STAR, they're all united in the same objective as noted above. Beware who you invite into your household. For the moment, Egyptair serves the region just fine.

Rambuster likes this.
  5. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm headed IAH to AUH on my own nickel in October so I'll need to figure things out in a month or so. Hopefully the SWU availability will be there for UA metal by then.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Had a very similar conversation with Andew from Skywards in April. EK does believe they need a US partner. I sort of expected them to put something together with American, but now American has launched a relationship with Etihad. So assuming that UA/CO and EK split for a reason, I guess that leaves Delta? Which is sad because Delta's chart (especially for non-US originating rtavel) is rather expensive. And because DL doesn't offer first class redemptions. For the meantime I guess if I want to redeem on EK, it'll be transferring Starpoints to Skywards or more likely to JAL.

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    CNN is reporting that DL/Skyteam will be associating with the Saudi airline. Sorry I don't remember any details, I don't fly to that area much, if at all, so the details don't stick with me.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Right, I'm not sure that excludes a non-Skyteam partnership with Emirates though. It's hard to imagine the partner being AA with the new partnership with UAE-based Etihad... and hard to imagine UA/CO with their dropping EK.. but EK does want a US partner...

9. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh please,

While the FFs where on here complaining about boarding and meal order this was going on. We got nothing more than what we deserved here. If you wanted it the other way around we could have done something 2 months ago. Now it's gone but at least I have zone boarding.

10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was something Brian was clear about. Look, remember when the CO-UA merger was first broached, and CO was all, "Why would I want to merge with that?!"? And look where we are now. Perhaps, in time, with EK a little more interested in having a US partner, there's a deal (larger codeshare basis or revenue sharing) to be worked out.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Points.
    It seems highly unlikely however that STAR alliance will admit EK as a partner- the animosity with particularly Lufthansa and also to a lesser degree Air Canada, SAA, and Singapore Airlines will probably ensure this.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this was one of the most disappointing developments of the past few months. I really enjoyed my EK flight on CO miles- even if you were excluded from F redemptions, it was nice to experience the A388 in C. Plus, bar!!!!

Answer is obvious: AS. They pretty much partner with anyone.

And I'd be pretty jubilant if that happened, given my large AS mileage balance.

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is funny....

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is true, though: AS partners with pretty much anyone (OK, not so much with *A- but I am sure if someone in *A WANTED to partner with AS, and didn't mind completely cheesing UA off, AS would do it). But look at the partner list: goes across major OW members (AA/QF/BA/CX/LA) and ST (DL/KE/KL/AF), has some interesting independents in it (FI and FJ, for instance). And FJ doesn't fly to SEA. ;)

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Search for Saudi and DL here or on FT. There's been a little bit of chatter on the topic.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree AS do have a very wide partner list. It would be nice if they partnered with EK- I was agreeing with you- it is just funny about their partner list. Now does Qatar partner with anyone (except their codeshare with M&M which is very very restrictive and only valid on a couple of flights MUC/DOH)?

17. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but I'm not sure the AS network would work well with EK. Their SEA and PDX hubs don't really work well with EK's US gateway cities.

I think another possibility is JetBlue out of JFK. They are already linked up with both AA and LH and soon SAA.

18. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could write some of the same things about Virgin not playing well with others, but CO/UA has had a working relationship with some limited code-sharing that's been working fine.

With all that airlines have been complaining about needing revenue, why not explore, at the very least, seeing where such things may be possible with EK again that would allow UA planes to go other places?

19. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question is what does a deal with EK bring to the table that is worthwhile for United, bearing in mind that any reasonably comprehensive partnership agreement now implemented between United and Emirates would likely trigger a contractual breach or financial penalties under the terms of the A++ Joint Venture, the Transpacific Joint Venture, or other partnership agreements.

20. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the US carriers are less concerned with the likes of EK than the European carriers. The primary issue is the distance. Flights from the West Coast to DXB are already among the longest in the world and any flight from the ME to the US will be, at least, the equivalent of flying LAX-SYD. They will have to drive a lot of paid J volume to make the numbers work and overcome the extra costs associated with those kind of ULHs.

For flights from Europe to the ME, the distances are much shorter and QR has even run some A320s. This has enabled them to operate into some non-hub markets (and attack weaker carriers at weaker hubs - looking at you SK), where they have been very successful. Given the distances involved, I'm not sure that they could profitably target the same sort of cities in the US. I mean, do we really see them starting up SAT-DXB service, or even MSP-DXB service, any time soon?

21. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and Saudi Airlines demands of DL that passengers connecting onto its flights not carry any persons carrying religious artifacts (i.e. gold chain crosses, bibles), persons with Israeli visa stamps in their passports, or Jews. Very nice people to do business with.

22. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    First they came for the infirmed, and I did not care. Then they came for the gypsies and I did not care. Then they came for the homosexuals, and I did not care... EK's objectives are as clear as Hitler's were. Don't fool yourself, the only reason they a being kept at bay in the America's is a thankful remnant of reciprocal carriage requirements.

23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    EK wants a US partner to feed it more traffic and undermine the existing carriers. It wants a compliant Pétin who is happy to betray its own home industry.

24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, as a general rule, the paid j market is much stronger outside the US. This gives foreign carriers a decent leg up on these services.

25. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's what competition is about, no? I've flown, thanks to a friend, EK's 777 & A380 1st class suites, and, had I a choice, I would choose that over any other 1st class price being comparable. The way to beat EK is to step up and deliver better services on board. My friend, who could fly any airline he wanted and is price insensitive, told me he flew a longer route with EK because he preferred the service to any other airline he'd tried to that point, SQ, Qantas, any US airline, Cathay, or whomever. US airlines once had comparable 1st class services. No longer.

LH, for example, could've put suites in their new A 380's, but didn't. If you had a choice between an open-to-the-world 1st class seat or a seat that closed you off to the cabin, which would you choose?

Beyond that though, I'm not going to fly EK to Europe from the US, going via DXB. And I'm not going to fly EK via DXB to Shanghai or Hong Kong when there's CO's perfectly good flights straight there from EWR.

I'm not suggesting a complete and total every flight's a possible EK relationship. What I'm suggesting is that there's room to sort something out, just as there is presently with Virgin.

Last, you don't think LH wants to clean everyone else's clocks, including AC's?