Future flights on non-AC planes

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Wageslave, Oct 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about asking this in one of the two threads about the Tango threads, but considering some of the posts, maybe I should be asking this separately...

Not being a true "frequent flyer" (just being honest here), I'm getting a little confused (and this still after lurking here). I know if you fly on another Star Alliance partner, you can get miles. I also know that to qualify for status, you need to fly at least 10k miles on a real Air Canada flight. So let me propose this scenario...

Flight 1: YYZ to SIN on AC (approximately 9k miles each way based on the timetables I have seen, assuming 5-6k of that is on AC and assuming Tango fares)
    Flight 2: YYZ to TPE on UA based on their cheapest fare (no clue what the actual mileage for this)
    Flight 3: YYZ to MEL on UA based on their cheapest fare (also no clue what the mileage is for this)

Combined, I'm guessing maybe 30-40k miles combined, maybe more.

So my question is, if I provide my travel agent with my Aeroplan card, I know I will only get half the AE miles for Flight 1, but will I get credited 100% AE miles for flights 2 and 3? (And possibly status)?

(This is normally more than I fly in a year, but I'm just curious as I hopefully will be flying more).

Thanks.

YULtide likes this.
  2. here are the rules;
    STATUS MILES ACCUMULATED
    Air Canada Minimum Requirements: 10000

STATUS SEGMENTS FLOWN
    Air Canada Minimum Requirements: 5

My thought is that Tango fares are considered non status but you should double check with AC to be absolutely sure.

Wageslave likes this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would get:
    1. 10.3K status miles on AC and SQ (via FRA), only 3.9K on AC metal -- assuming a Tango fare
    2. 17.4K status miles from UA (via SFO)
    3. 20.2K status miles from UA (via LAX)
    If you buy a Tango+ fare, the first one goes up to 20.6K and 7.8K on AC metal, and enough for the new Altitude 50K level. But the requirement for qualifying, as guinnessxyz pointed out, is 10K miles and 5 segments on AC metal. So you would need at least another three flights and 2.2K miles on AC metal.

Wageslave likes this.
  4. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I know it's 10k miles or 5 segments (as far as I know, the requirement is only one of them unless something has changed). I would probably route through Asia if it's for status (never been to FRA, so that might be a consideration too if I decide 50K status isn't worth the money or effort).

It's a shame though. All the AC metal I've been on in the last few years has been far superior to UA/AA metal that I've been on ever (and in technical terms, it has also been better than CX and SQ metal as well). At least in cattle class.

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct on the or ...

10-21-2012 3-25-22 PM.jpg

tomh009 and Wageslave like this.

6. Tom are you sure the Tango fare miles via FRA would count as 50% status miles and/or a status flight. I've never flown Tango and thus never seriously looked at the "rules of engagement" but I always thought Tango miles were non status

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    International Tango miles are status - albeit now cut in half :(

10-21-2012 6-46-15 PM.jpg

tomh009 likes this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never flown Tango -- you're a lucky, lucky man! ;)

(As ACMM pointed out above, they do give you status miles, albeit only at 50%.)

9. And I won't ever fly in a class that doesn't allow me the chance to get an upgrade which you cannot do on Tango fares. Now I will be accused by some of the chattering class of undermining their complaints:D

YULtide and LETTERBOY like this.