Further AA/BA/IB Alignment?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by superscot, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just received an EMail from AA asking me to take part in a survey to comment on some changes that were being considered to further align travelling experience on AA/BA/IB. Specifically including:

- use upgrade instruments (by which I read EVIPs and miles + copay) to upgrade on each others' flights (whether codeshare or native)
    - common luggage policies
    - book seats on all partners' flights at time of booking online

I responded positively!

garyst16 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Upgrades with miles are already available on BA/IB with AA miles, though no co-pay option and it's only for full fare. eVIP use would be great though.

When you say "book seats on all partners' flights at time of booking online", I'm thinking you're saying seat assignments, correct?

3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA currently have MFU - Miles for Upgrades which is the only instrument to upgrade on BA other than the pay option sometimes offered. However with the new Avios coming for BA, im not sure what will happen.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    After reading the post and posting my question I went to look and it seems BA's Gold tier provides for a "Gold Upgrade" for the elite plus a companion to move up a cabin after 2,500 tier points. I believe this is different than the MFU, no? LINK.

5. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also you must book the AA flight number in order to upgrade using AA miles. An AA-operated flight booked with a BA flight number, no go.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you're jumbling two different things: upgrading AA metal vs upgrading partner metal. As for partner flights, the FAQ on partner upgrades states:

At this time, you may use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade British Airways and Iberia flights as well as American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and Iberia which have been booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

7. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I didn't express myself very clearly. Sorry about that. What I meant is that if the three programs were truly "aligned," I'd like to be able to go to iberia.com, book a BA flight, and upgrade it with AA miles. I shouldn't need to care which of the three is operating. Is that realistic? Probably not, but I'd love to have fewer rules to memorize.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  8. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I took it to mean. (To be honest, I was fairly brain dead when I completed the survey - nearing the end of a 30k miles+ trip)