furniture layout in hotel rooms

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ctporter, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was reading a blog that had a question about preferences for hotel room desk/work table layout and it reminded me of some of my pet peeves with furniture layout in hotels:

1. The air (hot or cold) AC or heating blows directly on a person sitting at the desk/work table. Much too often the desktop work table is located immediately adjacent to the HVAC vents and it is too uncomfortable to work while the AC is on.

2. The height of the chair in relation to the table top surface cannot be adjusted. Much too often the work surface is much higher than a standard desk height and the chairs cannot be raised enough (if at all) to provide a comfortable ergonomic work position.

3. A lack of adequate power available for the chargers near by. Too often the only source is a single receptacle in the table lamp base that will not accommodate larger power supplies.

4. The furniture layout is as if no thought was put into how persons would actually use the room, why is there so much open space closer to the doors and all the furniture (including desks, arm chair, sofa, etc) all located towards the window? So many times I have thought that if the desk and suitcase table were swapped the room would feel more spacious not to mention be nicer to work in while on the road.

TRAVELSIG and HiIslands like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is probably one of my biggest hotel pet peeves, specifically outlets near the bed. Almost every hotel I'm in the outlet near the bed is fully stocked with lamps, clocks, and radios. I'd love to not have to move pieces of furniture and unplug items just so I can charge my phone near the bed. I also prefer to use my computer while in bed, not so much the desk. At times it can be a challenge to find an outlet that's within reach of my Mac's power cord.

Small concerns really, but it makes my day when I get a hotel room with an outlet by the bed.

AmericanGirl and sunseeker like this.
  3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    How true! I like to use my phone as my alarm and use an iGo to charge it while sleeping, it is nice to be able to charge the battery as well as my phone while sleeping. I also like to fall asleep to music, so I like to have my iPod playing in a portable speaker set I have that needs 110V power. Those are the reasons why I bring an extension cord with me since there is almost never a nearby receptacle to use.

4. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I,ve been in too many rooms where I have had to string a power cord across an open space to balance my laptop on my lap while wrapped in a blanket because the air conditioner is blowing on my back at the desk and I'df you turn it off the room goes from cold to a hot box in minutes (Phoenix).

It's like some sick combination of twister/torture.

Also hate having to pull out a night stand to find that there are 17 things plugged in like that scene from A Christmas Story and the charger for my phone won't fit but i'm more worried about a fire.

ctporter likes this.
  5. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes yes yes!! sick twister/torture indeed! and, as I tell people that attend my electrical classes - if you want to sleep at night, NEVER pull out the bed or night table to see the condition of the cords and cables!

6. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the Metropole Sofitel in Hanoi there was so much furniture crammed into a small room that you could not walk around the end of the bed without turning sideways. At the hotel Panorama in Hong Kong, there wasn't enough room to pull out the desk chair to work at the desk.

Both are examples of your point sufficient to make me choose other properties in Hanoi and Hong Kong.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another pet peeve of mine (I agree with all that have been listed) is a desk to small to accomodate a laptop and a notebook (one to write in- not the computer kind!).

Finally- the "bankers lamp" type of fixture on the desk is NOT appropriate lighting!

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never worry about the layout of the room since I have to move all the furniture to one side to make room for the belly dancers and strippers. (They never seem to cleanup after themselves)

[​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this discussion, remember that some the determinants of furniture layout are ease of cleaning for the housekeepers, meaning less time and lower costs. It's not solely about what the guest prefers.

10. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a leisure traveler, I am bothered when the bed in an ocean view room faces away from the ocean. I like to wake up to the view!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  11. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    Power points are my biggest gripe, but there's never enough of them, nor are they generally placed in the most conveinent locations either.

Having said that, two notable exceptions to this recently were the Grand Ambassador Seoul (Accor Pullman) and Novotel Clarke Quay. Both of the rooms in these properties included an abundance of power points, spread around the room, and well spaced apart to handle charging packs.

Better still, one or more of the points were international multidap sockets. You could plug your normal device in and then use your adaptor somewhere else to draw juice.

The most annoying thing for me is the positioning of room control panels, specially as I normally share a double room with a good friend of mine. One recent stay, Grand Ambassador Seoul, the control panel was placed on the outer side of one of the beds and not between the two. This of course meant if the person in the inner bed wished to switch things off they would have to get out of bed to do so.

Rather inconveinent, and it was a point I took up with hotel management post stay. The simple suggestion of extending the cord so they could locate it on the nightstand between both beds was just ignored.

12. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My biggest gripe is the fairly recent trend towards putting massive furniture in a place that prevents access to the window, requiring me to rearrange things just so I can close the curtains. This has happened to me 4 times in the past year but I don't recall it ever happening before then.

13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a thought for the lack of Power ports. Since it has become well known that if you somehow lose, forget, or it breaks, that many hotels have scads of Chargers at the Check In Desk. Has anyone ever asked for a power Strip at the Front Desk???

I don't really travel enough to check, but it seems like there might be one or two available upon request.