Fun Zone DO - 11/20 - Fredricksburg, VA

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Jeff the Wanderer, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

Will you be attending the first ever Fun Zone DO?

1. Of Course, It Sounds AWESOME!

100.0%
  2. Unfortunately Not, But I will Spend All Night On 11/20 Wishing I Was There

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe, Is There By Any Chance An Office Depot Near There?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in early October, many of us gathered in Chicago at a weekend of events for the miles and points obsessed. Anyone who has been to one of these events knows that some of the best parts of the weekend are the evenings spent chatting it up and networking with the other attendees.

During one of these networking moments, I overheard/took part in a conversation between a couple of people you may know from the blogs they write at Mile Value and New Girl in the Air. As the conversation progressed, I was sure I heard them talking about a place called "Fun Zone" and getting together before Thanksgiving. Since "Fun Zone" is only about an hour from where I live, the idea sounded great to me.

I later found out that "Fun Zone" is really a place called Splistville and although I was a little disappointed that it wasn't actually called Fun Zone, we went on to decide that maybe we should actually plan an event. Mostly via twitter, we have pieced a few things together and this is what we have so far.

We will be meeting at 6:30 PM at a restaurant yet to be determined in the Fredericksburg area. If anyone can provide a recommendation of a good place, we will be glad to take it.

Then at 8 PM, we will move over to Splitsville, where we will have a lane (or 2 or 3) reserved for us. If you have never heard of Splitsville, you should check out their website at www.splitsvillelanes.com. It looks awesome!

We will bowl and chat for a couple of hours and then see where the night goes. Maybe to the bar at Splitsville, maybe to a bar somewhere else, maybe to Singapore (if we can find enough last minute award seats).

It will be fun. It will be awesome. It will be epic. It will be the world's first Fun Zone DO.

What began as a joke one night at the Chicago Seminars has now become the most anticipated Frequent Flyer event of November 20th. (at least for those of us in the DC area) I guess the moral of the story is that you should never joke around with this group. We are crazy. What starts as a joke has an excellent chance of actually happening, whether it is a mileage run to the other side of the world, or a few drinks at a bowling alley in the middle of Virginia.

So if you are in the area, or if you need a few more elite qualifying miles before the end of the year, join us for a night of fun that is sure to include bowling, eating, drinks, and a whole lot of miles and points talk.

If you are planning to attend, please be sure to let us know so that we can make reservations for the proper number of people (or at least somewhere close). Also, if you are going to make the trek to Fredericksburg, VA, be sure to get in on the discussion as we try to decide where to eat before we hit the lanes.

tommy777 likes this.
  2. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
    FUN ZONE! So excited for this. Maybe we should make a guest list thread to get a nice count of who's in?

Right now it seems to be Jeff the Wanderer, New Girl in the Air, Mile Value, The Deal Mommy & I.

3. The Deal Mommy

The Deal Mommy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait!

4. bqkali

bqkali Active Member

Status Points:
    See you there!

5. pinksurf

pinksurf Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'm definitely coming! There's a Japanese steakhouse (Sakura) not far from Splitsville, probably five minutes by car, that my family has been to a couple of times for birthday dinners. It's the only place nearby that I know of that's not an Olive Garden or Outback... There are a few other nicer places "downtown."

And for the record, there is a place called Fun Land in Fredericksburg, and I totally thought this was where the DO was actually happening. They have laser tag, which might be fun after a few beers and rounds at Splitsville!

6. Jeff the Wanderer

Status Points:
    Yay! Our first restaurant recommendation! Welcome and we'll be glad to have you join us.

7. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So sad I can't make this! (Heading out to beat the pre-Thanksgiving DC gridlock).

But, if anyone is interested in doing another DC area DO I would love to join in and meet people. I'm willing to help plan!! :)

8. Jeff the Wanderer

Status Points:
    I am thinking Choi's Korean Kitchen for dinner. It looks small, but has decent reviews on Trip Advisor and is a Airline Miles Dining restaurant. Earning extra miles is always good. Anyone have a better idea or a reason we shouldn't try there?

9. bqkali

bqkali Active Member

Status Points:
    Anywhere for dinner sounds great for me.

Looks like we have 5 official attendees (Jeff the Wanderer, The Deal Mommy, pinksurf, aaucello, and myself) - though I think jordroz was considering coming and I may bring along a +1 in hopes he gets more onboard with miles & points :)

I'll check back later tonight for any more responses and can help with reservations, etc. if needed.

10. Jeff the Wanderer

Status Points:
    I believe that bbehnke is also planning to attend, but haven't got confirmation on that and I don't think he is here on Milepoint. I did send him a message on twitter and will bring him along if he is coming.

I am waiting to hear back from Splitsville about a lane reservation. They get busy on Tuesdays so they recommended it, but no one was there to take my reservation. (Seems like a great system) They are supposed to contact me bright and early in the morning.

We will be meeting at 6:30 at Choi's Korean Kitchen. Use the link in the previous post if you need to find it. I have a restaurant.com gift certificate so I will cover $25 of the bill. I don't think we can use more than one of those at a time, so we will have to get creative if anyone else has already bought one. Their website says we won't need reservations, but it looks pretty small so I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can have some space set aside.

I might bring along a newcomer as well. Anyone else who wants to join us is of course welcome, but please let me know as soon as you make your decision so I can make sure we have enough space.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and having some good travel talk time.

11. pinksurf

pinksurf Active Member

Status Points:
    I am coming! And for the record, pinksurf and jordroz are one in the same... Not sure why but my name is pinksurf on here. Obviously I'm not on Milepoint that much.

Anyways, looking forward to it! I'll see you all at 6:30. I've got accommodation in Fredericksburg, so I'm ready to rage all night. ;-)

12. bqkali

bqkali Active Member

Status Points:
    Jeff, I'll be coming solo which probably is more fun anyway :eek: :)

Thanks for planning dinner. See you there!