Fuming or gloating?: Gate-checking bags for free raises issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Kalboz, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting issue that was recently raised by the Star Tribune: Gate-checking bags for free raises issues
    The article goes on to state:
    So, which one are you?
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely in the category of those that are frustrated by people carrying on too much! It's not just in Y. Even in F, people carry on roll-aboards that are so large that they barely fit into the overhead bin on mainline jets.

Regarding compensation, I think that they should not receive compensation and should be charged the bag fee if applicable (depending on their status, fare paid, etc.). People should not be rewarded for causing problems. This just reinforces that undesired behavior.

YULtide, LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? If I am in boarding group 4 and have one legal-sized roll aboard that doesn't fit because everyone else ahead of me stuffed their two bags plus coat in the overhead, what's the undesired behavior I need to be punished for?

Mrs. Peel, TAHKUCT, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  4. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    what i wonder, is if each aircraft is designed to accommodate a roller bag from each passenger? or even just a small computer bag. i understand and kinda agree the point made by HaveMiles b/c Zone 4 shouldn't be fined for the previous 3 Zone's excess items. i just don't know where the middle ground is in this issue.

5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The middle ground is that you set size limits and you enforce them. You also force people to put anything past the first bag under the seat until the plane door is closed. Charge the check bag fee for anyone who has to gate check an oversized carryon. Charge nothing for people with regulation carryons that gate check to help with overhead space issues.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think most (any?) aircraft have enough overhead space for a 22" roller bag for each seat.

Roller bags of legal size in the overheads, smaller bags under the seat in front of you. When everyone's bigger (yet legal) bags are accommodated, gaps can be filled with smaller bags.

Unfortunately it takes a planeload of unselfish and reasonable people or 15 FAs on a 757 to make this happen. Neither is likely in my lifetime.

Offering some sort of incentive for people to gate-check voluntarily is something I have often wondered about. It seems just fair. And yes, penalize people with bags that are violating size limits, by forcing gate-check and fee for it.

Kalboz and chaz4449 like this.
  7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm referring to everyone else in front of you that caused the problem in the first place by carrying on too much.

YULtide and Kalboz like this.
  8. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree.

YULtide and Kalboz like this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I fly, I the only thing I carry on is my laptop bag. Everything else is checked.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I fly, most of the time my carry-ons consist of a 22" or less rollaboard and a laptop backpack. The backpack usually goes under the seat in front of me as E+, exit row or F on United give me enough leg room.

autolycus and Kalboz like this.
  11. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not about causing problems. Most 'big' rollaboards that I see are actually pretty close to if not within limits. The problem is that, since the airlines charge for bags, most people get the largest size carry-on legally permissible. Most planes don't have space for that.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised the MSP paper even ran this -- with their main ("only"?) airline (aka Delta), if you have the right credit card, the $25 fee for checking a bag goes away and you get zone two boarding.

Makes me wonder if this isn't another case of a reporter not knowing what he/she is writing about.

Not the first time something like this has happened !

DTWBOB

Kalboz likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    • Article by: CAROL PUCCI , Seattle Times

Kalboz likes this.
  14. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should I make than an editor not knowing what the reporter was writing about? <lol>

and if you think about the history of PMNW, SEA was a pretty important place (as in NW Orient !)

DTWBOB

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    And percentage of people that know that and can actually do that is...