Full Star Alliance Award Search Support

Discussion in 'ExpertFlyer' started by ExpertFlyer Voice, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    First, all remaining UA Award and Upgrade classes and alerts have been restored along with numeric availability. If you encounter any issues, please send us an email with the details of your search.

Second, we are happy to announce that ExpertFlyer has just added an additional 20 airlines to our Award & Upgrade search as well as our first alliance award search.

The newly added airlines are:
    • Adria Airways (JP)
    • ANA (NH)
    • Asiana Airlines (OZ)
    • Austrian (OS)
    • Blue1 (KF)
    • Croatia Airlines (OU)
    • Egyptair (MS)
    • Ethiopian Airlines (ET)
    • Island Air (WP)
    • LACSA (LR)
    • Lufthansa (LH)
    • SAS (SK)
    • Singapore Airlines (SQ)
    • South African Airways (SA)
    • TACA (TA)
    • TAM Linhas Aereas (JJ)
    • TAM Paraguay (PZ)
    • TAP-Air Portugal (TP)
    • Thai Airways International (TG)
    • US Airways (US)
    With these additions ExpertFlyer now has 100% Star Alliance Award coverage. In addition, there is an additional entry at the top of the Airline list in the Award & Upgrade search called “Star Alliance”. Choosing this option will show results that can include any Star Alliance airline in the search, our first true alliance level award search.

Award searching for these airlines now also benefit from ExpertFlyer’s unique features:
    • Flight Availability Alerts
    • +/- 3 day searching for Departure and Return dates
    • Include up to 3 fare classes in Award results when searching for a specific airline
    • Mobile web Award & Upgrade searching
    Please let us know if you have any questions and if you run into any issues please email the details of your search to customercare@expertflyer.com to help us troubleshoot. We hope you enjoy the new additions and thank you for your support of ExpertFlyer.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing this pulls award availability from United, which means some airlines (eg, LH) could have false positives. Or is it from ANA. Or somewhere else? How confident can we be in accuracy of the results?

3. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    You are welcome to try out the new search and let us know if you encounter any issues. If you have questions please email us the specifics of your search to customercare@expertflyer.com thanks.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Answered like a politician. ;)

akcae, ryandc99, Pat89339 and 2 others like this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shall we setup a formal debate ? :D

Pat89339 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've figured out so far that *A availability is definitely different from selecting an individual airline. If you do a search for LX space only, you'll still get what's offered to M&M members, not to other *A members. But in the limited tests I've run using the *A search, the results seem to be bookable on United.

7. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    The LX award search hasn't changed it is still from the M&M point of view, as it was before, and as noted when you do the LX award search. The LX award inventory you see when searching for *A will be from the partner point of view.

8. PacificTwo

PacificTwo Active Member

Status Points:
    While this is great news, I can confirm that you'll still see the phantom LH F availability. Here's a quick summary of a couple of LH flights in December (when no *A F will be available at this point in time).

e.g. FRA-PVG 12/21 LH 728 (1 seat)
    EF *A: First Business
    UA: First, Business
    ANA: Business only

e.g. FRA-KIX 12/21 LH 740 (1 seat)
    EF *A: First, Business
    UA: First, Business
    ANA: Business Only

The *A is a great feature to have, but it would be super-great to not have the LH false positives returned!

ACMM likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    PacificTwo - thanks for your post and welcome to milepoint! :) Congratulations on your first post :)

10. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. We have added the applicable notes to the LH award search.

ACMM likes this.
  11. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I search for FRA-SFO on 12/4 in F using *A, none of the flights show award availability, but as soon as I put in an alert for those flights I receive an email which shows the phantom availability that appears on the UA site. That makes the service both useless and meaningless. I can see those phantom flights for myself without having paid for an account with ExpertFlyer.

12. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    It sounds like you created the Flight Alert incorrectly, we just tested this and not only does the award search not show available I or O award inventory for the LH non-stop that day, an alert created for each reports no inventory, as it should. Please check the date/flight/city pair of the alert you created.

Since you haven't emailed support, we don't know who you are so we can't look up the alert you created to see what the issue is, so if you need further help please email us.

13. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry. The flights i received the 4 emails for phantom availability were: FRA-ORD and FRA-IAD on 12/4. ORD-MUC on 11/29 and BOS-MUC on 11/29. I have sent an email.

14. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    In your post you stated that "none of the flights show award availability" however all of those 4 searches on ExpertFlyer show F availability for the LH flight, which is why you correctly recieved an alert for them.

That aside, as noted elsewhere LH doesn't allow partners to book F awards until 2 weeks before departure. So the thing to do would be to create the Flight Alert no sooner then 2 weeks prior to departure.

15. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It did not show those as available when I searched *A and created the alert or I wouldn't have bothered to create an alert in the first place.

Kinda defeats the entire purpose to wait until 2 weeks out, since I could just as easily check on space on UA myself by that point, or am I missing something?

ryandc99 likes this.
  16. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    You may have been looking at the UA operated flights and not the LH ones as the Star Alliance search will show both. Either way, we confirmed that the Award & Upgrade search results matches the alerts you recieved.

Flight Alerts are designed to check inventory for you so you don't have to, regardless of how far out the departure date is or which airline you are flying on.

17. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not looking at UA operated flights. I know the difference.

So does this mean I will continue to receive email alerts for these phantom flights?

18. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why pay for a service that returns false positives? Why can't EF fix the issue, but instead come up with excuses??

Pat89339 likes this.
  19. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    The issue is not something that is in our control. We could hide LH F awards all together, but we have customers that still find the information and alerting useful, even within the 2 week window.

To put things in perspective, the ExpertFlyer Award & Upgrade search offers 208 award/upgrade classes across 70 airlines. If you don’t find one of them useful to you because it is limited to a 2 week search window, then you have 207 others to choose from.

20. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you double as a politician? Great non-answer to the question. Please address what EF is doing to fix the problem and set a realistic timeline for doing so.

21. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    When a solution is ready we will share it with the community.

22. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So are you saying that you are actively working to fix this problem?

23. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    A fix to the issue was deployed on Friday. You should no longer see phantom LH F award inventory greater than 14 days before departure.

24. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's change the topic!

I'm impressed with the new Star A search but often get pages of unavailable flights. Think you can create an option that could provide a readout similar to AwardNexus that only lists flights matching the criteria that show availability - perhaps filtering out the bad ones after they have all been listed? Seems that would make it more useful and user-friendly. I would actually prefer a two-step process - listing all flights as us now done and offering the option then to just show the matches - it would make me more confident that all options had been evaluated.

Thanks as always for your consideration and for a program I use almost daily!

25. ExpertFlyer Voice

Status Points:
    Hi Steven. We show all flights on purpose as over the years our users have told us that seeing the results for flights regardless of the availability is important. It also allows you to easily create a Flight Alert for flights that do not currently have availability.

What you can do is on the results page click the “Filter Search Results” link at the top of the page. There you will see an option called “Show Flights with No Availability” you can un-check that option to hide flights with no availability in any searched class.

Thank you for your support!