Full flights (upgrades)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Aug 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So in this change to the "new american" as I am currently a DM member how do upgrades work on a full flight, like coach being overbooked and first having seats open. Do they give all complementary upgrades vs flying with empty seats in first? They can't make you use the upgrade stickers right? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

And also what do you think current DM members will end up with after the switch to AA advantage? no stickers? stickers for miles flown on usair the previous year to use on AA when they finally become aa advantage. A completely new program?

2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I've ever seen a flight that was 100% full in coach that didn't have enough elite fliers in the back who were willing to drop certs to upgrade. Occasionally I see open F seats but usually on shorter flights. Were there AA Gold members in the back who opted not to upgrade that flight? Maybe, and the airline probably would let them stay in the back.

If a flight was overbooked as you suggest, they would bump PLT or GLD members up to make room for a non status flier before they would put that non status up front.

Who knows what the program will look like next year. Regardless what they do, some group will be unhappy with it.

blackjack-21, Seat6A and timfrost like this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sums it up perfectly. Whatever the changes end up being you can bet there will be numerous threads in here about it and FT might have to add more servers as there will be probably hundreds of threads over there when the dust settles. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

4. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Soo.. yes, sometimes. It depends on the gate agent and circumstances. My friend who was traveling with me (3rd friend, not companion, not on the same itinerary) was upgraded for free as a PLT member because they needed more space in Y and there was room in F. I just confirmed again and he was never charged stickers.

As for the program moving forward, I'm sure stickers will be required... there is a demand for them and clearly people keep paying. It's a great way for AA to earn extra revenue.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not going to confiscate stickers for OPUPs. I'm actually 3/6 on upgrades on one flight number that seems to be semi-consistently oversold with a low elite load, with no stickers spent (and 2 of those were when I was only Gold).

6. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can happen I got upgraded a bit ago on an award from Y to F as Y was over by 2 and F had 3 open. Agent cleared my standby into the last F seat, sure beats waiting another 90min for next flight.

7. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was recently the top name on the upgrade list for the 32B to Miami and missed the upgrade. It was a cheap flight to Aruba and I always wanted to go there so and booked it because at the time it looked like i would get the upgraded flight R/t for $481. Yay! It was my first upgrade miss in the last two years, though i do book my flights for maximum upgradability (look it up) and my clients actually save money doing it this way. Oops. I've been number one from JFK where the gate agent said with a satisfied smile "You're not going to clear, we've checked in full in First and Business" and I have cleared. I should have videoed her walking into Coach to hand me my upgraded ticket but i did not.

It was still a much b etter seat than on the Alaksa flights last weekend. When will AA start flights from LAX to SEA?? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brodyf,do you have a personal blog? You're on point a lot.

8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't. I just fly way too much and have lots of strong opinions! Sorry you didn't get the upgrade but at least you were going to Aruba. I'm bummed that Starwood sold off the Westin there.

9. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even as ExPlt I don't always get upgraded. As an example I was on AA 202 yesterday Lax to BOS. Coach wasn't full but first with only 16 seats was and so I had the #1 rank but did not get the brass ring. On a good note however this was a GREAT crew! Thanks to all of them for being so good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Pizzaman and brodyf like this.
  10. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here I am on the same flight and not likely to get am upgrade. Hope for the same crew.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That was the old Wyndham, iirc?

12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe so.