Fuel Surcharges on Awards

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by cvarming, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I am thinking of using some Aeroplan points and would like to know when to expect Aeroplan to charge me a large fuel surcharge. As I understand it right now I can fly on UA, US, or CO without any surcharges (except taxes), but on AC I will get charged big. How about LH and SK or the other *A partnets?

2. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was charged immediately when I booked the flight! It's really a shame. i like pretty much everything else about AC. I got a business reward flight, but not all the legs of my trip had business seats available. So I keep calling daily to see if any business seats have become available. So get this, a business seat became available yesterday, so the agent switched me to that. The system wanted to charge me an additional $40 in taxes since taxes have gone up since I booked the flight! Luckily, the agent questioned it, entered it manually, and I was charged nothing. But I'm going to have to keep an eye on that situation and make sure they don't charge me when the other seats become available. As I expressed to the other agent today, this is not an upgrade. It's the seat I paid for.
    Not sure if any of this answers your question. Just wanted to share! ;-)

3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

Interesting story. I was thinking more about the fuel charges on AC segments vs the fuel charges on CO segments. And for all the other *A segments I might want to book (or not) on an award.

4. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I only have AC segments. And those fuel charges are high!

5. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's now called Carrier Administration Service Charge. ;) :mad:

miloki likes this.
  6. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a business award YYZ-LHR-ZRH-YYZ for this summer and saved $400 per person by avoiding AC. A few hours in a couple of lounges is worth it! And that was before the latest round of increases

7. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked an award and I mentioned to the AE agent how sad it was that I'd actually like to use Air Canada for reward flight's but that I refuse to pay hundred's of dollars more for the "privilege" and so follow some rules to keep the reward flight costs down. He said he does the same thing (avoid AC and LHR). Sad state of affairs.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It really is bizarre, eh? Fuel surcharges on Air Canada only, not on partners. Now, I'd probably pay the fuel surcharge to avoid flying some partners but I'll certainly fly ANA First Class to Tokyo instead of flying Air Canada business!! :D

9. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there were NH YYZ-NRT non-stop, I would too. But I would avoid going through the US if I don't have to!;)

10. RoninTech
    Original Member

RoninTech Silver Member

Status Points:
    We spent $50 each on Nexus cards (good for 5 years) that now provide GOES as well so going through the US becomes much more tolerable.

11. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fact that we can't lock our bags and have the risk of having dirty and careless TSA people going through our baggage without our presence is enough of a reason of not going through the US.