Fuel Dump (YQ) (YR)

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by weevinweaver, Mar 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I consider myself to be pretty intelligent. I have read almost every blog and forum on the internet about how to book a cheap ticket by getting rid of the YQ or the YR. I am going to the FTU (Frequent Traveler University) to gather more information, but want to be prepared.

I have a few questions.
    Does the 3X have to be on a different airline?
    Will the 3X that you find always work (different destinations)?
    Is the best way to find a 3X by sitting at your computer for hours trying different airports?

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. If you could reply or message or email me I promise I will be your friend forever.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary (View from the Wing) had a quick primer of this stuff @ the FTU(LAX). Unfortunately ... I can't share it.

OceanBreezes and weevinweaver like this.
  3. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    So....should I email Gary?
    Or... should I wait for the FTU?

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait

5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooooo this intrigues me! Now I am more excited about FTU!

OceanBreezes likes this.
  6. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I attended the FTU LAX.. The tips provided in the "secret" :) session, were very valuable to me.. I also find Gary as a good presenter. He keeps his audience involved, interested and happy ( he is actually funny ) Thanks and Safe Travels

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No (though it usually is), no (though some work for more than others) and no (though there is effort required and it is a moving target).

8. Gustie13

Gustie13 Member

Status Points:
    Next FTU isn't until Sept and I'm trying to FD for a trip this summer. :( C'est la vie!

9. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol
    Perhaps the next FTU can have a variation of these made up [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  10. JimboJ

JimboJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    So Gary gets people to pay money to hear him go over things others discovered then embargoes the audience from sharing? Weak.

anabolism, goalie and paladin87 like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have talked about this before. My understanding of fuel dumping is always improving, but I think my posts share the basics so you can get started looking for your own. No big secrets here except whittling down 10,000 pages of FT nonsense to the three or four that matter.

http://hackmytrip.com/2012/01/introduction-to-fuel-dumping/

12. JimboJ

JimboJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering how many seconds till scott showed up to sell his blog. Just info he compiled from other people then put on a blog to try to try to make a profit. Never discovered a single unique thing. Regardless, this is the same content minus his blog ad spam. http://pastebin.com/M2nvicff If anyone has basic questions and doesn't want to deal with the vultures send a PM.

goalie and euromannn like this.
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? More like days than seconds. The OP was on 3/27. Far more people link to my posts than I do. You're the one complaining about Gary preventing people from sharing outside FTU. I'm sharing.

akcae and thepointstraveler like this.
  14. JimboJ

JimboJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. You're just another form of seller. Sharing would be doing so in a way that was not primarily about giving you profit and buttressing your name recognition. I don't see much difference between the two of you, you're both just taking information other people gave to you for free and repackaging it in forms you can profit from without those peoples consent. Boring. You benefit from the partial secrecy around FD'ing because it gives value to the fact you're willing to reveal info more explicitly than those who helped you. By all means if you're about helping generate deals then post them. Have you ever discovered and shared a single fuel dump deal with the community that wasn't already mentioned elsewhere? My offer to other stands, if anyone has basic questions and doesn't want to feed the trolls send me a PM.

goalie likes this.
  15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to jump into a holy war, but I did find Scott's article on the subject to be enlightening.

Facts have long been established, what good writing provides is understanding to those who don't know where to start.

My current FD question is how to figure out if the the FD I found matches any code names I see people talking about ;)

16. JimboJ

JimboJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Code names change over time. Not sure why that would be particularly a next step for you. Whether it matches a name or not, so? How to guides are ok, but simply kick the point of real usefulness further down the road. Scott had his thing up how long? and yet this thread has been essentially useless and his actions resulted in less sharing that could have benefited newbs. Tradeoffs. The point being that where the real action is moves based on where the starting line is. You can advance the starting line for ego and profit but it doesn't really help that many in the end. Most of the people helped by how to guides could have developed relationships anyway and now they're just left with a how to guide and now much to do after.

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you don't worry about code names. If a 3X has been named, someone will decode it, and it will get overused. The best 3Xs are the ones you keep to yourself or a close circle of friends. You will learn more by looking for 3Xs from scratch.

18. JimboJ

JimboJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    How gracious. Still waiting for the deals Scott. You going to ever bring anything to the table... Ever....

19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that a requirement to post here?

rharrigill and Scottrick like this.