FTU Tampa for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by kmann31, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kmann31

kmann31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All!
    I am relatively new to the points world. I really just joined the game because we had lots of expenses on the horizon and I wanted to get the biggest bang for our buck! Of course, now I am addicted! I was looking into the FTU in Tampa this September, but I am nervous to register. As a points newbie that really knows nothing about travel and redemption(all of the acronyms on here and FT make my head spin!), will the information go over my head?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only gone to the FTU NJ last year, but I thought the whole experience was great and more geared towards newbies than anyone else. For the breakout sessions, I'm sure there will be one specifically for newbies (usually run by Million Mile Secrets?) so that would really be beneficial.

Hope you decide to go! I just booked my flights and am all set.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually @ FTU there are "newbie" sessions. I went to the FTU@LAX and there was always 2 sessions. One geared more towards new people and the other was was a little step above.

You should go, and look at what session is going on when. Pick & Choose what interests you, not just go because it says newbie. Also ... be friendly and talk to people, as what you take from FTU is (imo) 60% what you say/hear/talk to people not in the sessions, but what you get out of it during lunch, in between sessions, afterwards etc.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest thing I got out of FTU DC recently was the ability to talk the talk with like minded people in person. Plus, now I have met some of these folks on the MP boards and feel like I have people I can direct questions. It gave me confidence that what I had sorted out from reading this, that and the other blog/forum was on track as well, and that I should be more comfortable ramping up some of the ways I go about earning miles/points. Personally I thought it was a great deal for the price too.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of it will. Much of it will not. And unless you start actually learning about it that split won't change too much.

6. kmann31

kmann31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will take the plunge and try it out! I'm excited to learn more and meet other like-minded people. I hope I will have a chance to meet all of you there!

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll be the guy (or one of them) in a Hawaiian shirt at some point, most likely near the hotel bar. Stop by and introduce yourself. :cool:

8. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:

See you there!

marcwint55 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  9. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im new to this too and just found out it will be in Tampa, and being from Orlando, it will be an easy trip! You wont be alone :cool:

marcwint55 and canucklehead like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Most likely one of them, though I'm more Tommy Bahama then straight hardcore Hawaiian. ;)

11. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go! GO! GO! You will have a great time, meet like minded people and learn things that you can apply to your real world!
    See you there!

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

That is the true Tommy class.

13. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Floridian. By that time in the summer, anything besides shorts and flip flops is formal attire.

paladinua likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not, but I believe in the same dress code.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was one once. That part of the culture has stuck with me quite well. :cool:

joeheg likes this.