FTL for European Travellers

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by limaechooscar, Jun 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. limaechooscar

limaechooscar New Member

Status Points:
    I am damned by M&M and I fly in Europe mostly with Swiss and Lufthansa around 30 flights a year. Every time I am just below the 35 flights threshold to reach FTL.

I used to be SEN but since my longhaul are mostly with other alliances I am totally screwed by the system given the ridiculous amount of miles you get in Europe.

What would be the best way to move up back the ladder to at least FTL?

redtailshark likes this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to InsideFlyer, limaechooscar.

Since you're already a Miles and More member, I know of no way to get FTL other than by flying.

Is there any way you can move a flight or two into this year from next year? The other possibility might be circuitous routing, where you have a connection in two or three cities instead of a direct flight in order to increase the number of flight segments.

limaechooscar likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do your homework, dude...start connecting e.g. BRU to PRG via EWR or IAD, that will help a lot....

But M&M sucks rocks anyway, who cares about the pseudobenefits of FTL considering how many EU sectors you have to fly to earn it?

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a European flyer, the FTL benefits can be significant -- especially the lounge access. And a colleague who was FTL even scored occasional upgrades to Business Class on intra-Europe flights.

But I'm not sure routing through Dulles on a Brussels to Prague flight is really practical advice economically. Going BRU-ZRH (or FRA or MUC)-PRG, on the other hand, might work at no additional cost.

redtailshark likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose lounge access is useful, although this seems to apply only to LH native lounges at FTL level. As for UG, that's useful, although who can know what difference various FFP rank makes.

As for your skepticism about this being "practical advice economically," I'll give you a pass because nobody has time to know all posting history of others. But you should know that I am not joking. At all. In the past I've done this for real on KL and AF and CO and even AZ, e.g. CTA to MXP/LIN via PVG and NRT. Key term: FD. Some of this is in here if you search long enough.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html

Sooo...yes, when I booked those itins they were (much) cheaper than e.g. AMS to PRG or CTA to MXP by more conventional means....OP needs to invest major time to develop high-level skills to make this work, however.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. With nearly 3000 pages of discussion, that thread is rather daunting (you may want to bold the part in your post about "investing major time").

But I do know some of the folks who I noticed posted on the thread (during my hurried sampling), and next time I see them over a mug of beer I may ask for more information..