FT Secret Santa

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Jenny & Curt, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or maybe a MP Secret Santa would be more appropriate...

tebfunk, MrsBobSgt, catgirl and 6 others like this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but I thought it was probably too late to get started, and there's already a place waiting for those who might like to participate. I think it's kind of fun.

4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up! Very excited to be participating this year!!

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this would be relatively simple to set up, its just a matter of someone volunteering to play coordinator.

MrsBobSgt and catgirl like this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on our travels patterns next year, I might just volunteer to be that coordinator. I sincerely believe it's too late for this year, but tip my hat to anyone who disagrees and wants to take it on.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    not simple
    I would agree but the person who takes on such a project would need to have a lot of bandwidth handy. It is a heck of an effort that wharvey puts forth, an effort I doubt many could match/beat on MP or FT.

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm big on Christmas and I like the tradition on FT, wharvey is a great guy and does a lot to put it together.

But I also like cominng up with our own ideas and I think this community has an awesome potential to do something cool. I think our efforts over here shows that we are more than worthy of our own tradition.

So.. All ideas are welcome. And over here, the owners are standing by with resources, giftcards etc etc.

MrsBobSgt, spesalvi, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Knowing a little about web design, we could probably design this as a web application, that will take care of recording the information and matching the pairings, making it a lot more manageable, and even make it easier to transfer between coordinators.

One idea we could also play with is using it as a special fund raising drive. Instead of it being a free sign-up, we could make it a fee of $5 for each entry, and donate the proceeds to a charity of choice for the holidays (And makes it a way to highlight some different charities than the ones that we have as a sustained effort all the time).

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it could be a summer solstice event to give planning time?

MrsBobSgt and mowogo like this.
  11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is plenty of time to setup something! I would be willing to help coordinate. I have done a few of these before.
    If people think it is a good idea I can get a ball rolling here and hopefully have something setup by this evening.

What do you need bandwidth for exactly? I have a few TB coming from LA each month that sits mostly idle.

MrsBobSgt, spesalvi, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What if people who are interested (and will make a firm commitment) like the post above? Will that work to give you preliminary numbers without lots of wordless posts? Or maybe we should put down the country we'll be shipping from?
    USA for us. Can take one recipient.

spesalvi, catgirl and canucklehead like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. Since you mentioned it. Over on the Mommy_Points blog, she asked people to donate a new toy for Toys For Tots. Let's build on this idea. I would ask anyone reading this, to donate a new toy for a poor/homeless child.

Over the years, I've had issues with Toys For Tots, sponsored by the Marines. When someone goes to the Marines asking for a toy for their child, the Marines don't vet them. It would appear there's a certain percentage of people that go there looking for a free toy. Even if the percentage is low, I'd prefer donating to a shelter, where the end user is truly needy.

This Christmas, take a new toy over to your local homeless shelter.

Background info... I'm in the toy business, and do spread the wealth (so to speak) to children that are in need. If you could see the faces of the children on Christmas day at lunch when they get that new toy, it would break your heart, but also make you well up with pride. If anyone is local in the New York area and wants some of my stash for a donation, you know how to contact me. I'd be happy to make that donation.

If you're not local, head to a toy store and spend $10 - $20 on a toy for a child in need. It will make you feel good. It will make the recepient feel better!

MrsBobSgt, tommy777, spesalvi and 3 others like this.
  14. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem like there is any demand for it, if we can find a good 15-20 of us though I think it would be a good idea.

MrsBobSgt and jmrich1432 like this.
  15. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be interested to participate

MrsBobSgt and jmrich1432 like this.
  16. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be interested. I haven't done the FT secret santa, so I'm not sure how it works. But I think it would be fun! :D

17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sign up on the Flyertalk thread. It's fun, since many people play by the rules. YMMV.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some great ideas here.
    I'd be more likely to participate in giving useful gifts to the needy than just exchanging gifts, though I see the value in both. I'm sure the Kiva team would be happy to donate some Kiva gift certificates.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have signed up for the first time this year. I just haven't gotten my assignment. I am really looking forward to it! I think I gave waaay too much info on myself though, I just didn't know what they were looking for! :oops:

I also have my 3 salvation army angels. I always like picking out toys for kids at Christmas!

MrsBobSgt and miles and smiles like this.
  20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks, we have batted around some great ideas internally, but there just isnt enough time to execute it this year. Sorry

But at my church on Sunday and at my bank today, I saw that they're both doing toys for tots. So I'm heading to get some toys tomorrow. Great idea!

Next year, expect the introduction of the official milepoint advent treasure hunt ;)

21. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then we just need to know the cities with a good amount of advance notice so we can book the fares to experience as many days of the treasure hunt as we can :p

22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  23. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jimgotkp likes this.
  24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points: