Frustration booking LAN flight with AA miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JWHPN, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need one last segment to make my award trip work and my inexperience booking non Cathay/BA awards with AA miles is catching up to me.

Qantas shows "Classic & Partner" award space on the LAN connecting flight from AKL to SYD, but neither BA or AA sites bring it up. I've called AA twice now, and they can see the flight, but are telling me there's no award space on it. And at this point, the cash cost of the ticket is up 100% so I'm starting to get frustrated.

Am I just seeing phantom award space? Or am I just not asking the right questions/using the right terminology.

Thank you in advance.

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like QF codeshares with LAN on some flights on that route. Is it possible there is award space on the codeshare QF marketed flight but not when you try to book it on the actual LAN marketed and operated flight? Hope this makes sense. The way to find this out would be to call and ask if there is space on any QF flight trans-Tasman that day.

JWHPN likes this.
  3. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very frustrating problem - I have run into a similar problem with other oneworld carriers. Generally one does not want to wait until closer to the time of departure to book a seat but some AA agents have mentioned to me that certain carriers may open more award seats for oneworld miles as the day of departure approaches. Then again if they waitlist you for a J fare and there is only Y you may be stuck taking a voluntary downgrade. Best of luck!

JWHPN likes this.
  4. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Call them back one more time still no luck. Next best option is to try to use Virgin Atlantic miles one either VAustralia or Air NZ just have to wait for them to post. I hope Air NZ releases more award space to Virgin than they do star alliance.

BTW, for others trying to do this. Agent tried pricing out flights that didn't work for me to test the system, she actually found some via a connection but with a catch. Apparently if you connect anywhere from AKL to SYD, AA's system will price it as two awards, meaning at least 20k miles for an economy ticket. Not cool.

5. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds more likely lime a published fare/published routing rule, potentially. What's the full award you're trying to book?

6. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just AKL-SYD one way. Using Delta miles with VAustralia for the rest of the trip now. Flight and route show up on AA's website under qantas and LAN. LAN flt 801 or Q322 on Qantas I think.

7. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand-- you write above:
    and:
    So that sounds like you're trying to book AKL-SYD as part of a larger AA miles award, no?

Are you saying that, at present, you are simply trying to book AKL-SYD in economy, for xxK AAdv miles?

If you're booking AKL-SYD on it's own, you should be able to get it (if available) at the "wholly within" rate of 10K (17.5 in business) on QF.

8. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, let me try to clarify.
    First attempt with the AAdvantage desk was to book AKL-SYD direct on the LAN801 flight mentioned above, which should only be 10k in economy. It shows as bookable with miles on the QF website in both Y&J as QF322. The AA website would let me book on these flights with cash, so I'm pretty sure its a published fare. The problem is the agent could not see any award space on that flight.

Second, When she couldn't find the award space on that flight she looked for other options. I was told that QF AKL-MEL-SYD was available, and would be 27.5K. pricing as two awards, the AKL-MEL in Y and MEL-SYD in J. Since there was no way I was booking that itinerary, I didn't press her on for an explanation. My guess is that it counted as a stopover for some reason.

Hope that is clearer.

9. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is incorrect. Only the QF flight can be booked at the "wholly within" rate of 10K for economy, 17.5 K for business. The LAN flight is not eligible for that rate.

Negative. You cannot book this codeshare with AAdv miles-- availability via QF.com is not a factor.

No, that has nothing to do with it being a published fare, nor is that an issue now that I know it's a single segment journey.

That is common-- many QF published "domestic" fares require a non-stop path. Nothing to do with stopover.

The published QF routing for AKL-SYD is "PUBLISHED RTG AKL-SYD"
    (http://www.travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5187)

SO, if you want AKL-SYD for 10K/17.5K-- it must be on QF and it must be non-stop. A quick look on AA.com shows much available for the wholly-within rate on many, many, many days-- instantly bookable on AA.com.

10. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked again myself, and you are correct, most of the month is wide open, unfortunately for my purposes the one day in question that has zero award space is the one I need, and I don't have much flexibility on it. I'm formulating alternatives right now, I've racked up a fair balance of VA miles, meaning I have options with air new zealand and V Australia, although they're not as good a value as the AA award. Thanks for the info!