Frustrating

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by IMGone, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know you have stated that you consider the counting and lounge type threads to be "community building" but I have found it extremely frustrating that EVERY time I click on What's New, the very first entry, along with the majority of the top 10-15 entries are these types of threads. Right now the top 3 threads under What's New alone are this type of thread and contain over 60K posts. That is over 30% of the total posts reflected on the main forum page at the moment (156K).

It's amazing how much community I have found at FT while not participating in such endeavors, with absolutely no plans to start now. You are in favor of them, so they are here but please find a way to segregate them out and lower their visibility for those of us who are not as enthusiastic.

I know for me, that my posting and time on MP has begun to seriously wane (before it had a chance to really get started) as these types of threads have kicked in and seemed to become the main focus for too many, and I find that a shame. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I know I am not alone. I dislike having to wade through useless information to even find a thread that has content that might possibly be of interest to me, or looking at my newstand feed only to see numbers or other useless fodder under every single entry on the newsfeed by someone spending too much time on this type of endeavour (yes, I'll be changing who I follow shortly if that continues).

I hope you have some cool functionality hidden away with the new technology to help improve the user experience for everyone related to these off-topic threads. Thanks!

jbcarioca, Pete and Counsellor like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know what's frustrating? Undescriptive one-word titles!

But regarding the content, you're not alone.

3. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the counting threads and such. It doesn't provide any significant value at all.

That being said, it's Randy's site and he can do what he wants.

jbcarioca and Counsellor like this.
  4. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should change with the end of Beta testing period.

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it hasn't :(

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We hear these same complaints about FT as well. But the lounge, counting, joke and other non-miles and points threads continue and even flourish there as they do here.

So perhaps they are what the typical visitor to MP and FT wants from the site. As the website founder, you can have a master plan as to how you'd like to see a website develop. But you really can't control what the members will post, where they post and what aspects of the site are most appealing to that member.

Although the social aspects of this site is the main draw for me, I do understand that's certainly not the case for everyone. I'm just not sure how you structure the site to segregate all the non-miles and points discussion if, in fact, that's what the majority of folks want.

jbcarioca, milchap and kwai like this.
  7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't mean they are good or right. I don't buy "flourish" and "typical visitor" type comments until real statistics back it up. If you mean flourish by sheer number of posts, sure - by quality or value add - very much, less likely IMO. Are the people typing gibberish (count threads, et al) actually entering posts in other locations on MP? Maybe, but what is the balance of these types of threads to posts on real travel content related threads?

Again, "typical visitor", I don't know the % of people who participate in those types of threads, I do know that the SAME people who like to post A LOT do participate A LOT, but what they post does not add intrinsic value to the site, IMO (others definitely have different opinions, which they are welcome to). I actually think it's a good thing to have a place for them to post (and post and post) without messing up everyone's elses flow of information. I've walked away from more than one thread on FT because it went "omni" with the sheer verbosity (is that a word?) of some of the posters. OTOH, and getting back on point - I want to minimize the impact of my MP experience from these types of threads. They are fluff, and I only have limited browsing time so avoid the fluff and may even eventually avoid the site which makes me sad.

MP has become the place to socialize and FT is the place to go for content. That might be okay with Randy, and if it is, kudos that he has accomplished it. It needs to be stated however, that that was not the bill of goods I was sold when MP was first introduced and it is not a direction where I will spend tons of time as there is just too much clutter to step over.

Counsellor and Pete like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I keep seeing that stated. Let me rephrase it:
    MP has become the place to socialize. FT is the place to go for content. MP is the place where you can ask a question and get a quick answer without added baggage attached.

secretsea18, Chimpy, Cholula and 2 others like this.
  9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    you keep seeing something stated (thus supporting its validity) with which you disagree or don't want to believe/see, so you totally change the definition of it to show it in a positive light. You're entitled, but I am not biting. Lets just agree to disagree at this point. I see you are clearly all over this site and spend more time here than I have available, but after tripping over the talk to me thread on the same topic and seeing the posting activity and comments, not only am I not alone but my concerns are coming true.

I'll leave this site to the omni-ite posting style and visit occasionally as I am doing, most likely with decreasing regularity. Such is life

Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as travellers find a friendly agora to ask travel questions without fear of attack, ridicule and the brush off, it is a great place to either visit or lurk. Parts of FT had become private clubs where newbies entered at their risk and peril, Even this veteran Evangelist walked on egg shells in such hallowed places.:D

Hence a new beginning.......

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I see both sides of this argument, if that is what it is. I enjoy the inane threads for reasons only my psychiatrist might understand (I don't have one so no help for me!). Obviously so do many of us enjoy them.

The primary reason to be here for me is the content that is quickly coming. I would be much happier if "Off Topic" and "Off Topic/Private were not indexed in "What's New?". It is a distraction to everyone when the predominant purpose for "What's New?" for almost all of us is to search for the most recent content. We will find the trivial stuff quite easily, so we do not need or want it indexed, or so I believe.

So, can we just have the two "Off Topic" categories just removed from the "What's New?" listing?

Counsellor and kwai like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have NO problem with the suggestion.
    You should make the suggestion for Randy's consideration.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    these are concerns which are valid and which have been discussed extensively, and which I have brought up both publicly and in constructive private discussions with many of the actors; but which I think these concerns are being overblown. Yes, we'd love to see more "content", but there is an issue of expectations and of the difference between internet time and real world time. Internet time, we want instant gratification; this site only entered beta 2 months ago and went live 1 month ago. Of course a site with a 12 year history will have more "content" at this point, and a lot of people are complaining that milepoint hasn't matched that in 2 months. In that short period an incredible amount of content has been created here. Even if only 25% of the posts are "content" posts rather than community posts, that means there area already 60,000 to 70,000 content posts here. That is a huge amount of information. The wiki's will be appearing very soon, adding a solid database of info.

Questions that people ask are all getting answered, and the people aren't being made to feel uncomfortable asking those questions- that in itself will lead to growth.

Some people are making the "content" issue into a self fulfilling prophesy- they don't see new discussion threads starting fast enough, so they choose not to create new discussion threads.

2soonold, kwai, secretsea18 and 4 others like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is in "Talk to Me" is it not?

15. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Granted, as you'll see this was posted during the beta period. I and many others were greatly discouraged by the huge gap between content of quality being added and the waste of time/counting/lounge thread content during that period. THAT was the beginning of the discontent, and the behavior engendered then has only grown. That also leads into your final comment

Don't put me in this category ... I am not complaining that content isn't here, I am complaining about the type of content that IS here. I am complaining that we have an overabundance of chatters on MP with no desire to actually add content (or perhaps they have nothing of quality to add, who knows).

Yours and others comments about what a happy community this is are wearing thin, while it still has a better vibe for the most part, any site with so much 'us vs them', 'why do mods suck', 'moderators are stupid' etc type threads is not a positive place whatever shades you'd like to place over it.

This is becoming a 'put it off and come back later to see what the community turned into' proposition for many of us. I don't like the vibe I get generally from MP as I don't care for (can you tell?) the waste of time content in the least. I think lounge threads bury information that should be in threads of their own, and otherwise contain inane conversation that should be kept for an off top/omni sandbox somewhere else. I think these types of wasted time threads should not be part of the What's New thread or even in the NewsFeeds (and definitely not added to ones post counts for those that track/look at that type of information, it is very misleading). I'm outvoted by Randy - and that's fine - but if this site continues to be overrun by that type of content, myself and others will spend our time elsewhere.

Counsellor, tom911 and jbcarioca like this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is. Sorry about the loss of situational awareness. ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I don't think you are outvoted by me at all. My encouragement and comments are always directed toward building content for the next person on milepoint who is interested in miles, points and travel. I'll continue to suggest such and act toward such. Other than the 'What's New' scenario, we've been fortunate that the social content -- which does have its place and is actually very interesting once you arrive into the discussions -- are fairly self-contained which makes them easy to avoid if you like. We've been successful in tuning the main Trending Topics to reflect threads related to the content goals for milepoint and with some additional tuning might have this part fixed. But I think you might have the wrong idea if you think you are being outvoted by me. After five weeks, there is still some fine tuning to be done which frankly even exists in forums from 5-13 years old. Appreciate you can share this information and it is listened to. Thanks.

2soonold, kwai, milchap and 1 other person like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry, it was not on an IFR approach to minima, after all. :) I hope my more serious errors will be found by you.:)

19. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks and I appreciate that ... if you can apply that tuning to the news feed and new posts listings, we might have a solution that turns the focus back on the topic of points, miles and travel.

jbcarioca, Counsellor and kwai like this.
  20. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Let's back up here just a second as i think there needs to be some substance behind the idea. When you say that I am in favor of them (social threads), let's take just a second to understand my thoughts on that topic. Like you, I've found each and every fellow traveler that I enjoy conversations, travel and exchanges with without participating in a social thread. Having said that, I fully appreciate that the surrounding world of technology, not just milepoint and in the past, flyertalk, have created, helped or assisted a different world in which we communicate. In this case, it flows about the central topic of miles, points and travel but obviously extends to the side conversations of just anything. Certainly, you don't have to participate on Facebook (I'm not a huge participant there), but you must be aware than 600 million people in a few short years creating 20-something billionaires is really influential. Again, this is only from awareness.

So, let's get to the observation ... Randy is in favor of them. Here's why I am in favor of them. I have for far too long seen valuable and relevant thread topics sidelined by off-topic banter. I wanted to see the topic continued or go deeper in the discussion but a member took part of the discussion and it became social, it became a different dimension. The first and formost reason why I do favor social threads is to give a divided place for members to be off-topic without the need to practice that within a thread about miles, points and travel. Perfect solution? Hardly. A good step and reasonable correlation? I think so. Does this mean that threads will never be interrupted? No. But it does mean that those who are more inclined to do so don't have to go far to at least do so. Again, understanding that the world around us, even frequent flyer programs are promoting social aspects of their own membership bases which become shared onto milepoint. Have we all "liked" AAdvantage on their home page on Facebook yet? They want us to. I've got a feeling that we have a lot more in common than what it might seem. Thank you for posting about miles, points and travel—yesterday, today and I do hope tomorrow.

2soonold, kwai and jbcarioca like this.