Fruitless quest for flight credit

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Jul 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm having trouble getting credit for a flight and, after four attempts, am looking for ideas.

The back story: Last October I booked a trip to SLC for this past June. When I booked, I noticed that Z fares were cheaper than Flex, so I went for it. Why not? From October to June I went through about 6 itinerary changes. The last one resulted in being downgraded to Y for two of the segments. The total trip was YEG-SFO-SLC returning SLC-DEN-YVR-YEG. All UA except the last segment, booked on AC with code-share flight numbers. The segments in and out of SLC were the downgraded ones, due to an equipment change to single cabin. OK, fair enough. It also meant losing the bonus mileage for the Z fare, though. Stuff happens.

Where I ran into trouble was at checkin to come home. I got my three boarding passes and carried on toward my first flight. But I noticed the flight time on the final leg was wrong by about two hours. No worries, I thought, that can be fixed in the MLL. And it was.

I got credit a couple of days later for segments 1 and 3, but not for the middle segment. So I went on the Aeroplan site to request credit. I took the information from the boarding pass and a couple of days later got back an e-mail saying something was wrong with the flight number, the class or the ticket number. Checked the ticket number and realized the number printed on the boarding pass wasn't the same as on my itinerary. So, I tried again. Same result.

I called Aeroplan to find out what was wrong, and it turns out the flight number on the boarding pass doesn't match the number normally used for this flight. (remember I booked an AC code share, but got a UA flight number on the boarding pass). So the agent tried putting the request in at her end, but gave me the correct flight number be and said to try that if it didn'the work this time. Of course it didn't, so back for another try, this time with the correct flight number.

I just got my fourth rejection, and now am completely mystified. How do I get credit for that flight?

Any ideas?

slalom likes this.
  2. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    No idea how to get credit for your segment, but I'm having a similar experience on a less complex itinerary. Back in June I flew BOS-IAD-MCO on UA. Within 3 days I received credit for BOS-IAD, but nothing for IAD-MCO on the same ticket, same class off service, etc.

The flight you submitted is not eligible for Aeroplan Mile accumulation due to one of the following reasons:
    The booking class or fare you purchased is ineligible; click here for more details on how to earn with this partner
    Invalid origin and destination combination; please resubmit your flight mileage credit request and enter the correct departure and arrival airports
    Invalid flight number; please verify your travel documents and resubmit your flight mileage credit request to enter the correct flight number

All the info was correct and I have the electronic boarding pass - class of service etc. was identical for both segments. 3 week ago I called the SuperElite Desk, and they said they would try a manual override, but I still haven't seen anything.

Also on a recent itinerary YYZ-ORD-YYZ flying out one day, and back the next on AC, I got credit for the return but not the outbound. I submitted that a while ago via the web site, but it has been a few weeks and I haven't seen anything. My FF# was on my boarding pass as was my SE status.

I wonder what is going on that they are missing routine flights?

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got exactly the same set of error messages. Annoying that the system simply guessed rather than giving the actual problem.

I wonder if there is some problem with United's system.

milchap likes this.
  4. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you need to insist very firmly that AE input the flight manually. If you still have the Eticket as well as the BP you can tell them you will scan and email them.

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I think that's my next gambit. Interesting point in this is that the system knows the fare class, though this is not part of the information submitted by the screen. So it knows about the flight.

I see an interesting conversation with AE in my near future.

milchap likes this.
  6. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update:

As I indicated, both outbound and return were on the same ticket (Flex, Q) and I received credit immediately on the return, but not the outbound YYZ-ORD.

I just got an email from Aeroplan denying credit. It contained a several incorrect facts including:

1) Partner airline ZX (isn't that Rouge? - they don't even fly the route).
    2) Booking class "R" (isn't that reward?)

They did get the flight number right. The explanation was as follows:

Aeroplan Miles cannot be accumulated for the booking class flown on the partner airline. As per Aeroplan’s Terms and Conditions, certain booking classes are not eligible for Aeroplan Mile accumulation. For more details on how to earn miles with this partner, please click here.

Given I fly a ton of segments, I really don't look forward to having to continually audit my miles to find screw-ups like this! I'll resubmit electronically and see what happens!

7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies should this not be helpful...

My default coping strategy is to file an electronic claim for credit on everything, eight days after completion of the journey. Used to get a lot of "but we've already credited you" letters, but not so often any more, which leads me to suspect a change (ahem, an 'enhancement') in the posting algorithm.

slalom and YULtide like this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I spoke to Aeroplan today and the suggested I scan my boarding pass and my itinerary and e-mail them in for credit. It may take 10 weeks, apparently.

Based on current estimates, I will need those miles for status next year, so I've sent the documents off.

Good thing I had a paper boarding pass.

mtlfire and mevlannen like this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed!

I learned, a few years back, to obtain and hold onto paper boarding passes. When time permits, I key the relevant flight numbers, ticket number, etc. into a data-table, so as to allow for easy tracking.

Also, a gloomy observation based on a sample size of one person:

the delay time of posting observably lengthens as I approach 50K/75K/100K each year. It would make some sense to enact algorithmic posting delays at, say, 45K/70K/95K (or whatever equivalent fits one's possible thresholds) as a way of encouraging a certain level of 'overshoot' at year-end. No sure whether this is a real issue, or a case of observer effect on my part, but -- all the same -- it's certainly been nerve-wracking some years.

milchap and YULtide like this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just squeaked into E75K this year, as previously documented, but to date should have just above 50k miles this year. Another 50k (exactly) planned, so I'll need those miles for my first crack at SE100K. If there's anything left of it by the time I make it, of course.

mevlannen and milchap like this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sigh....

The prospect of diminished SE benefits is hardly worthy of being 'liked', is it?

YULtide likes this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, diminished SE benefits are better than diminished E75K benefits. And a like from you is always an undiminished benefit. ;)

mevlannen likes this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (curtsies gracefully as possible under the circumstances)

Well, let's see:

1) semi pseudo sorta IKK, for seats that AC's having trouble selling
    2) 'freebie' seat selection into bulkhead and exit rows
    3) D-7 upgrade requests (which about a quarter of the time clear on the spot: the other 3/4 go to the invidious R games, altho' at reasonable chance of priority)
    4) ostensibly no YQ, altho' the sheer number and magnitude of other fees, 'taxes', surcharges and miscellaneous enactments really make an AE booking into a discount against rack rate
    5) favourite beverages arriving unbidden as soon as we clear 10kilofeet

plus, of course, nifty grey ice-scraper for my truck's windshield: the winter winds deposit grimy ice layers upon everything parked in the YQU lot.

It used to be that, on a YQU/YEG turn, there would be four to six SEs (yahh, I read the manifest even though it's printed in faded dot-matrix hammer-type); YEG/YVR would usually have about ten, and there would be one other on my YVR/YQQ turn (poor so-and-so, lives on the expensive side of the valley compared to yours truly who's out there in the sticks near Black Creek). Now I'm the only SE on the feeder legs, and usually only one or two others on the mainline leg. Moritori te salutant!

Sadly, though, the year I held 75K? That was the year that a pair of YYZ/YUL and YUL/YYZ never posted, and my entreaties fell on deaf ears. Now I'm doing ca. 165 segs/year so the numbers game isn't quite as aggravating as it was.

Good luck, eh?

mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Denouement: I looked over the weekend and the miles had finally been posted.

Again, good thing I had the paper boarding pass.

All's well that ends well.

mevlannen likes this.
  16. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Persistence pays off.

17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keeping track of the paper boarding passes does seem to be essential!

Am right chuffed for you, YULtide, that your posting did eventually come through.

YULtide likes this.
  18. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    My persistence paid off...I just checked, and I received credit for the missing IAD-MCO and ORD-YYZ segments I mentioned above.

Good thing, becuase I'm sitting at 80 segments - 15 more to SE so I need all I can get and unfortunately a lot of American and Delta flights on my calendar.

YULtide and ACMM like this.