From One Side of Birmingham to another... after a loooting.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Kevincm, Aug 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Agreed completely. You can tell after the smoke clears that some of these people don't care about the why/how, they're just in it to cause damage and grab some freebies in the confusion.

Kevincm likes this.
  3. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but why do they want to cause damage?

If we start talking about 'those people' maybe it closes to eyes to the root causes of what has happened.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that some of the people involved are (or probably were) genuinely outraged by what happened to Mark Duggan. But by day 3 I'm sure those people are in the minority, and everybody that's out there setting fire to shops and breaking windows is either doing it for kicks, because of the mob mentality or just to be able to score a free TV.

Most of the pictures you find online tell a pretty good story... and even if you follow the link on this thread you'll see it too. The record shop left intact, with the window not even touched... and yet the electronics store next door had all the windows broken, no doubt because that's where the looters wanted to go "shopping"

[​IMG]

Kevincm likes this.
  5. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I just don't see it the same way.

I see people that feel like they live in a socially unjust society wanting to take what they see as their fair share of its 'fruits'. Doesn't make it right, but painting people as the 'other' isn't going help.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell that to the business owner that had nothing to do with what's going on and now his store is empty, and he's not making any money for the next few weeks while the insurance company sorts things out.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with social activism, peaceful -- and even not-so-peaceful -- demonstrations, but that's not what's going on with the majority of these riots. If you want to see injustice and oppression look around at Syria or Egypt.

Nobody's stealing bread or fighting for their civil rights here... all I see is opportunistic looting, with people taking advantage of the chaos to steal high end goods.

AndrewW and Kevincm like this.