From Flying Blue Ivory to Silver?

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by jaap.meijering, May 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jaap.meijering

jaap.meijering Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm flying 2 - 3 times per year between Holland and Brazil. Mostly the direct flight from Amsterdam to Rio de Janeiro. This already for a period of 5 years and probably more.
    When I choose to fly via Paris I get twice as much level flights ! But it's less comfortable...
    I have FB Amex Gold card, so I earn 4 level flights per year.

In this way I'm stuck on the Ivory level. Complaints to FB doesn't help, although I'm a loyal customer, also buying preferable chairs, economy comfort, FB AMEX Gold, etc.

How has a strategy for me to become FB Silver or Gold? Or should I switch to another airline company?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Ready2board

Ready2board Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easiest way is getting the Amex FB platinum card. Or do another segment or two to get more flights. Perhaps Dus-Ams and from Ams to Cdg to GIG as an alternative route. Not comfortable, but enough to reach the next level.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not so very difficult, I think. Two RT AMS-GIG-AMS with normal economy level miles will give you 23,760 level miles, so you need only another 1,240 level miles to get Silver, (assuming you don't live in France; your name and question make me surmise you live in Holland.). 1,240 level miles can be had pretty cheaply. If you, for example, splurge on a weekend trip to Rome you can return for about 280 Euro or less and still receive full level miles, providing you with 2600 or so, much more than you need. Some planning can find the cheapest and/or most pleasant short trip that can give you those few extra level miles. Of course if you make three trips a year to Brazil or do one in Business class, you'll have no problems at all.

Another option to to fly AMS-FCO-Brazil which will get you the level miles you need without an extra trip. AZ is generally less expensive than is KL anyway, so your only downside is switching to Alitalia for one trip per year. They have allegedly improved although their financials certainly do not support that logic.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. SVDH

SVDH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you assuming 100% miles earning here? Most KLM fares only have 25% or 50%. Only Y and B get 100%.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the other answers cover most of it:

Option (1): 1 stop flights to earn more segments. With 3 trips that would be 12, +4 from Amex = Silver

Option (2): more expensive tickets, as, if you only earn 25%, the AMS-GIG only gets you +/- 1480 per flight if I'm not mistaken.

Option (3): combination of 1 and 2, AZ has some fares which offer better earnings on FB

Option (4): Another Skyteam program? Maybe AeroMexico?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did, of course full flex earns above the 100% level too...

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. SVDH

SVDH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not many flyers from NL buy Y or B fares I think.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. SVDH

SVDH Silver Member

Status Points:
    If possible, upgrade your FBAMEX to Platinum, that gives you 8 qualifying segments.
    Another option is to do short hops intra-europe. Those can be bought from 100 euro's and it's fun to explore :)

Also, please visit forum.ikvliegveel.com - the NL/BE spin-off of Milepoint (in Dutch!)

kevin990 likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many I have no idea. Looking at KL/AF reported short haul yields and their loss of traffic to LCC's, you obviously are correct in proportion. Still, for someone who needs a few extra tier miles, paying the odd full fare can be a good choice; not often, I agree, but sometimes. Long Haul is an entirely different proposition.

SVDH likes this.
  10. Rob van Cutsem

Rob van Cutsem Active Member

Status Points:
    I take lots of short weekend trips, 8 or so,2 long ones with stopover normally US and Asia, and i have the Platinum FB AmEx. And i have 30 flights...enough for FB Gold....
    Silver should be simple. Fb Plat 8 flights, need only 7 more, so two trips to GIG via Paris and you are Silver