From Dublin to Cardiff, what a pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Apr 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm booking a trip for my wife and daughter to Ireland and the UK in June/July. Since my wife only has two weeks for the whole trip their schedule is very tight. They need to get from Dublin to Cardiff on July 3. Unfortunately, I can find Aer Lingus flights at either 7:15am, which means they'd have to get up at about four a.m., or 7:25 p.m., which means they wouldn't get in to Cardiff until it was way too late to get out and see anything.

At first I looked into them taking the ferry to Holyhead, but then the train ride from there to Cardiff is ridiculously long. There are other flights out in the middle of the day via other airlines, if I feel like paying up to $1200 (which I don't).

Ryanair has nothing. Is there anything I'm not seeing? Their travel dates are absolutely set in stone and cannot be changed. -DA1

uggboy likes this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about flights into BRS? I don't know about schedules, but it's pretty close to CWL.

uggboy and disambiguous1 like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Err .. Irish rail just over two hours shorter than the time it takes getting from downtown to DUB and getting on the plane.:)
    Cost about $20.00

Edited... sorry my original response was an error I thought you were travelling DUB/Belfast.

However I checked Opodo and found the flights on EI... you listed seems its just a busy weekend.
    How about the suggestion above about BRS? Shows quite a bit more options.

BTW I found Bristol much more interesting than Cardiff, but thats another matter.:)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    uggboy and iolaire like this.
  4. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    YULtide-- Bristol Airport was an excellent suggestion! I found a car service that can get them from Bristol Airport to their hotel for a semi-reasonable rate. Even with the expense of the car, it's still cheaper and far faster than the ferry/train route, and at a reasonable time of day.

The young one is a massive Dr. Who fan, and so Cardiff is an essential stop. Unfortunately I didn't check to see what else is going on in Cardiff on July 4. There's a major motorcycle Grand Prix event, and everything is booked to the hilt, with all hotels specifying no refunds. Their trip schedule is pretty much set in stone at this point, but this is the only real sticking point.

Many thanks, YULtide.

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  5. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    New Blue Sea-- Flights booked! My wife figures that while they're in Bristol they may as well have lunch and take a quick spin around the city. It looks like The Grove is the trendy downtown area, but that's just from what I can glean from forums. What would be a good place to have lunch in Bristol? After that they'll probably take a 30-minute taxi tour and then head to Cardiff. Many thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out.

I was in Bristol 2 weeks ago, for the first time. Enjoyed the city, what I saw of it. I was there for a conference. I studied in Cardiff and really enjoyed it. The Dr Who experience there is brilliant. Worth seeing the castle also.

Hope the trip goes well.

uggboy likes this.
  7. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    UPDATE-- They did the flight to Bristol. The only real hang-up was the time it took to get from Bristol Airport to the train station, which my wife said was excessive. For that reason they just got right on the train to Cardiff rather than bothering to find a restaurant. At any rate, the hack worked well, and was much faster than the ferry/train and went out at a decent hour, unlike the available direct flights. Thanks again, YULtide.

anileze and YULtide like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked for them!

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The optimist in me says "7:15 flights mean that you get to travel during the less-used portion of the day and enjoy your destination more, rather than losing half the day to travel". Midday flights kinda suck in that regard. Just another perspective.

anileze likes this.