Frigid travelers have no easy fixes when suffering temperature extremes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Sep 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frigid travelers have no easy fixes when suffering temperature extremes en route
    Christopher Elliott
    September 12, 2015
    The Washington Post

When Eric Crusius boarded his recent American Airlines flight from Washington to Dallas, the air conditioning was powered down and the cabin started to heat up quickly, just as you might expect an aluminum tube to do under the heat of the late summer sun. "It was pretty steamy,” he recalls.

But that was nothing compared with what happened when he landed. After the plane touched down, its air conditioning switched off again, and this time, the temperature outside was in the triple digits. Passengers waiting to exit the aircraft began to glisten with sweat...

Read the article here:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...414482-4503-11e5-8e7d-9c033e6745d8_story.html

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, this article wasn't quite what I gathered from the title.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is once you get past the first couple of words! :D

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    An Elliott article denigrating Transport and Travel. How novel.

newbluesea and Newscience like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    That article has no actual content. Just observations.

We receive constant complaints on the train about temperature, but what is too cold for one is too hot for another. You just have to plan for everything... just like life goes.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw Chris Elliott's name and I didn't bother to read anymore ... the comments by others here only confirmed I didn't have to waste my time.:rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article actually provides some useful information, such as warning travelers to layer their clothing, beware of aging infrastructure (older aircraft are usually worse), and the fact that you cannot control the huge swings in temperature, and that it's just as tough on the crew as the passengers (flight attendants fainting, who knew? :D). This may not be the biggest news for the seasoned traveler, but an infrequent one might just find it of interest.

About Again likes this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would argue that this is common sense. [You] wouldn't go to the store barefoot, why would you assume that you can wear shorts and a tank top over a 12 hour day and consistently be comfortable?

Complaining that the government doesn't regulate temperatures for travelers? Come on. I don't see that as likely, but fining the airlines or requiring them to delay boarding while a plane comes up or down to temp would have a huge economic impact in possible delay time. Even the newest aircraft struggle with their own HVAC equipment on the ground in extreme temperatures, and if ground heat or A/C is unavailable sometimes you just have to be patient. The same thing goes for the railroad - Thursday we had a last minute engine swap while the train was at the station. The passengers boarded while there were no engines attached and thus no power, but the moment the engines were on and power was turned on they were on their way rather than also waiting another 30 minutes to finish the boarding process. However it was not excessively warm outside and I don't think that decision would have been made if it was 100 degrees. I would think most people prefer being moderately uncomfortable for a few minutes and getting going over standing around for double the time.

10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I must be reading a different article. There are statements made in the article that the government does not regulate temperatures on mass transit:
    "Temperatures on mass transit aren’t regulated by the government, according to Virginia Miller, a spokeswoman for the American Public Transportation Association, a trade group. “Local conditions dictate the specifications that would be created when ordering a bus or train,” she says. “The heating and air conditioning load has to be balanced with the engine’s performance.” and "...these modes of transportation generally don’t have comfort standards set by the government or operators." Are these complaints or simply statements of fact?

As far as dress is concerned, I'm willing to bet that, like many of us, you've seen just about everything. I'm amazed to see when folks travelling in the front of the plane are dressed to about the same standards as "street people" in any big city, and often not as well as the folks in the back of the plane. Perhaps that's because I do recall the days when people dressed well for air travel.

And yes, when you travel on mass transit, you should be prepared for just about anything to occur. A couple of summers ago in D.C, I hopped on a D.C Metro train with non-functioning air conditioning. It was in excess of 100 F outside, and handily !20-130F or so in the car. Needless to say, I got off after a few stops to find a cool place to take a break before continuing on, hopefully in a Metro car with functioning air conditioning.

About Again likes this.
  11. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected regarding that. I was recalling the article off the top of my head rather than re-reading it. My apologies. :)

About Again and Newscience like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, timfrost - no need to apologize, but graciously accepted in any case! :)

What is more worrisome is when some folks don't even bother to skim an article, having seen the author's name, as per some of the above postings. :confused:

timfrost and About Again like this.
  13. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    how about just setting it at 70 F, 21 C, standard ambient temperature for buildings, and indoor public spaces worldwide:)

Newscience and ACMM like this.
  14. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    is Tim Frost his real name, or is it pun for the article?;)

timfrost, Newscience and ACMM like this.
  15. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Actually it's sort of neither. :confused: Tim is my real given name, Frost is a 'nom de plume' but particularly appropriate for this post! :D

Temperatures are all so relative. 70F is a tall order for a relatively small air conditioning unit on a bus in 100 degree weather, and will feel absolutely frigid to anyone who has been standing in said heat. On the other hand, 70 would be uncomfortably warm on a bus in January in Saskatoon (where of course it would be set for 21C!) for people bundled in parkas. When people have been in an air-conditioned airport terminal, they're acclimated to indoor temperatures and expect the same on board.

ACMM, About Again and Newscience like this.
  16. About Again

About Again Gold Member

Status Points:
    understand, but the standard ambient temp settings for commercial indoor spaces worldwide is 70F 21C

timfrost and ACMM like this.